Chapter 8

And I pick the uploading back up again. 

Year of no Stars- Chapter 8

    I follow Juliet through a fawn-brown hallway, wood lining the floor. The texture of forest felt strange beneath my feet in this form. She opens a small door to a colourful room; the top half is a smooth pink, the bottom a pale green. A large bed with a thick, bright green blanket is set off into the corner. A dresser is pressed into the far wall, along with a couple of bins.

    “Uh, make yourself comfortable. Lunch will be in about a half an hour; do you like scrambled egg sandwiches?” Juliet offers.

    “Yeah, I do,” I respond, my eyes trailing around my new surroundings. Tasia made me some a couple days ago; they are delicious!

    Juliet plays with her fingers. “If you need anything, don’t be afraid to ask, okay Laura?”

    I nod, “Got it.”

    Juliet leaves and I place the blanket down in the free corner, opposite to the bed. Then I follow her out of the room, a couple feet behind her. Juliet stops suddenly and looks down at me. She smiles but it doesn’t reach her eyes.

    “I have an idea, Laura,” she begins; a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. “Stand up for me, will you?”

    Confused, I push myself to my feet. Wobbly at first but I quickly gain balance. I am about the same height as Juliet. I ask, “Yeah?”

    “Try and practise walking and maybe we’ll take a trip down to get some ice cream. I know the man and he always gives us a bit extra.” Juliet winks and makes her way to the kitchen.

    What is ice cream? It sounds cold but delightful at the same time. I shrug and drop back down and push the screen door open. The heavier door is already open, letting the warm breeze into the house. Oliver is outside, using a large knife to cut trees. I can see a pile of small trees that have been split forming near a charcoaled pit. Once he spots me, Oliver waves and I return the welcoming gesture with a smile.

    There is so much land; trees everywhere. A field of fertile grass sits between me and the woods. Still smiling, I collapse to the ground and flip onto my back. The sweet scent of spring flowers floods me, carried with the wind is the bitter smell of pine needles. I could escape but where would I go? I had always been accompanied while growing up; I had never been alone. Sure, I could fend for myself but living all alone? I could never do that. We are social animals.  

    I flip over and stalk forward, toward a specific flower. It would probably freak them out if I caught an actually creature so I will stick with flowers for now. As I near, I pounce, crushing the delicate plant beneath my hands. I hear Oliver laugh in the distance but it is quiet. I raise my gaze to see a deer. I hadn’t seen one in so long. I don’t have to catch it, just a fun game of cat and mouse.

    I launch myself into a sprint, my hands and feet pouncing fiercely against the soft ground. The deer senses me but I am fast and catch up quickly. Though, I stay a couple passes back just for the fun of it. It feels so good to run again!  The deer kicks up dirt in my face, dodging around stumps and individual trees but I stay hard on its heels. I feel a prickle of sadness form in my throat but I push it away; I won’t let this ruin my moment.

    I growl, my breath heavy and my heart crashing in my chest. Eventually, sadly, I have to slow and the deer gains meters ahead of me. It does not sadden me to see it go; I had my moment of freedom and that makes me warm inside.

    I turn back, stumbling a bit since I haven’t run so hard for a while, and find Oliver staring at me. His expression is sunny, a wide grin set upon his lips. He raises his arms and cheers. I smile back and change my course to toward the scent of water. By the smell of it, a fast moving creek flows just at the edge of the trees. I make my way through the field and enter the woods. But before I can reach the water, Oliver calls out.