Chapter 14

AJKBUGDIVFOLI THE FEELS FOR THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ANABEL AND LAURA

Year of no Stars- Chapter 14

    “I talked to Anabel’s parents after Johnston from the institute did,” Tasia says through the phone, “They are willing to meet you and reconsider Anabel’s placement though they say they believe it is the right thing for her to be there.”

    I smile; if I can just prove to them their daughter can be welcomed in then she could live freely. But how can I do this? “Thanks Tasia, it really means a lot.”

     “Oh, and I have a surprise for you. I’ve already talked it through with Juliet, Oliver and Marcus and they’re all okay with it.” I can hear her excitement and can imagine her smiling like crazy. She talked to Marcus? This must have something to do with my childhood or else he would have been left from the matter. I rarely even talk to him anymore; I wonder if he still cares.

    “What is it?” I jump from my seat in the living room and Juliet looks over at me. She asks the same question but I am waiting for Tasia’s response to answer her.

    Tasia chuckles, “I can’t tell you, Laura! That would defy the meaning of ‘surprise’. Anyways, I’ll come pick you up later to meet with the Janeys. Is noon good?”

    I hold the phone down from my face and address Juliet, “Can I go out with Tasia for a bit around noon? It’s really important!”

    Juliet nods and smiles. “Sure but what is this about?”

    “I’ll tell you later.” I replace to my ear as I sit down on the ground, rolling over onto my back to stare at the ceiling.  “Yeah, noon is fine. See you soon Tasia!”

hg

     We pull up into their street; my final destination of the day. The revving motor comes to a slow stop as she puts into the driveway of the house number 3250. It is a large building with many windows and green grass spouting beautifully. Unlike the institute, the lights are off in most of the rooms.

    “It’s…huge.” My mouth drops open in awe. “It’s just so… big.” I can’t believe what I am looking at. A house this big should be lived in by many families, not one. Are they rich? They must be.

    Tasia smiles as she gets out of the car. “They definitely have money.” She sounds just as impressed.

    A man comes out to meet us and shows us the way to the front door. Vines hang down from an edge over looking the front porch. I jump the three stairs that leads up, which gets me a look from Tasia. Behave, her silent message passes between us. The man dressed in a fancy suit opens the door which of course we are capable of. Why is he doing such things? And why does he not say a word? I shrug away the questions as we enter.

    It is just as luxurious inside as out; dark wooden floors with a beautiful and intricate rug welcoming us in. The ceilings are high and as I strain my neck to look up, I see a hanging light that seems as if to carry candles. A stair case leads up, the rims lined with a golden colour; my eyes can barely take in all the detail.

    “Welcome!” cries a voice and the source comes out from around the left corner. She is dressed casually though with a slight edge of fanciness. The woman’s hair is tied tightly up on her head in a ball. “I’m Abigail Janey and you must be Tasia and Laura!” Her voice washes over us; it is smooth and enchanting with a melodic ring to it. It is most definitely nothing like Anabels’.

    “Hi,” Tasia says as she shakes her hand. I introduce myself in the same manor.

    “Come on in,” Abigail chirps as she ushers us into the living room which is pristine and new. The couches are soft and fluffy, inviting us in and engulfing us with their marshmallow like insides. “So, you’re here to talk to me about Anabel, I believe.”