Chapter 13

It kind of just became a routine after a while, after I get off work Mr.Xavier would either be waiting on me, or I'd only have to wait a minute or two an he'd be down apologizing for making me wait. It became sort of a comfort to me, knowing that there was someone who was with me, even if we were just walking to Deli's school and back. We talked about stupid things usually, sometimes about movies though he's hardly seen any movies at all, sometimes music, we talked about Deli a lot and what she liked to do. It was just little things, but I learned to look forward to those little conversations everyday. Deli's become very found of Mr.Xavier as well, she talks his ear off half the time on the way back.

Today I got off work and it was one of the few times Mr.Xavier wasn't already in front of the store waiting for me. I was a little disappointed not to see him there but I knew it was stupid so I just blew it off.

I waited for ten minutes and then started to get a little worried, he's normally here within five, fifteen minutes, and then thirty. I kept looking around wondering where he was. Finally I knew I had to go get Deli or her teachers would start calling me wanting me to be there.

I headed over to Deli's school by myself for the first time in weeks. It was surprisingly lonely. I never remembered the walk taking this long and being this quiet. Even the streets seem quieter and less crowded than usual. Something seems off today, maybe it's just my imagination, I don't know but somethings wrong.

When I got to the school Deli and one of her teachers were outside waiting on me. I didn't realize I was so late in picking her up, Crap. I sped up the few feet and picked Deli up.

"Sorry Mrs.Parker, I didn't mean to be late I was caught up with something."

"No worries Ms. Pain, We weren't waiting very long. Where's your boyfriend might I ask? Usually he's with you when you pick Delilah up. She's been talking non stop about him for the past few weeks." The teacher smiled at me sweetly.

I turned bright red and started stuttering.

"Oh no...... Mr. Xavier and I aren't dating, we uh, we are just friends. He comes with me to g-get some fresh air after working all day." By the end I managed to not make I complete fool of myself.

The teacher just smiled and started to walk towards her car.

"If that's what you want to believe Ms. Pain."

I heard faintly her faintly, and what she said didn't register until she was already in her car and starting to back up. What's that supposed to mean? We started walking towards home when Delilah started in on her usual questions, this time though I was wondering the same thing as her.

"Where's will Momma?" She looked up at me with puppy dog eyes.

"I'm not sure sweety, he was probably busy and not able to come today."

She pouted a bit. "I don't wike it when he dwoesn't come."

"I know sweety, but Mr. Xavier's a busy man."

Still I am a bit worried, I think he would at least call, well at least I hope he would.

On the way back we walked by Mr.Xaviers office. I don't know what came over me, but I pulled Delilah with me and walked into his office building.

"Momma what are we dwoing?"

"Where going to check on Mr.Xavier Sweety and see if he's alright."

When I walked in I saw the secretary that was there the day Mr.Xavier dragged me in, when we went to dinner. She seemed rather stressed.

"Ma'am do you think I could talk to Mr.Xavier for a moment?" She looked up for a moment, I thought she'd badger me with questions, instead she did something that surprised me.