Chapter 23

Alexandria's pov

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alexandria.......are you not Delilah's Birth Mother?"

I stopped dead in my tracks, my heart sinking. My body went numb and I froze. Finally after gawking at William for a second I managed a reply.

"W..what?" okay that didn't come out nearly as strong as I hoped for.

"Are. You. Not. Delilah's. Birth. Mother?" He spoke very clearly and slowly.

Shit I almost forgot I haven't told him yet, he must have seen Delilah's birth certificate.

"No" what else could I say?

"What do you mean no?" He got up from the couch coming closer to me. His faced looked a mixture of hurt, disappointment, and anger. Right now anger seemed to be winning though.

I stepped back slightly putting more distance between the two of us.

"I mean no as in, I'm not Delilah's birthmother."

He stepped closer, I stepped back.

"So... You lied to me?" He said with a little more force than necessary.

"I never lied, I am Delilah's mother, I however didn't give birth to her. You made the assumption that I was her mother by birth."

"Bullshit Alexandria! Were you ever going to tell me? or were you going to let me continue to believe you were Delilah's mother?"

I stepped forward, challenging him.

"I am Delilah's mother! I've taken care of her since she was a baby, I was there for her when no one else was. I have dedicated my life to her, how dare you stand there and tell me she is not my daughter!" I was fuming.

"No! You do not get to get mad at me. I didn't lie to you, I didn't hide the truth."

"What does it even matter to you anyway? What does it matter if I'm Delilah's birthmother or adopted mother."

"You're 21 there's no way they would have allowed you to adopt her!"

"Them damn well did, I took care of her in the orphanage, no one else cared!"

It got really quite.

"Orphanage?" He whispered

Shit, that was something I wasn't really planning on telling him. I've never even told Rose I lived in an orphanage.

"Alexandria......Did you live in an orphanage?"

I just looked away, I wasn't ashamed of it, really I wasn't. There are some memories that I don't want brought up.

"Alexandria?" He stepped closer.

I stepped back, refusing to look him in the eyes. He stepped forward, I stepped back.

"Alexandria we are not doing this."

He took one long stride, picked me up, walked to his room and closed the door, blocking it.

"Alexandria, were you in and orphanage? Was Delilah? What is happening?"

I sighed "Yes, Delilah and I both lived in an orphanage."

"Alexandria...."

"William, we were having such a wonderful evening, can we please not do this now? I'm sorry I never told you about Delilah, Honestly I forgot I hadn't told you yet."