Chapter 3: The Encounter*

Within Wall Maria, Trost District

That boy always has a mind of his own. It's as if he exists in a completely different realm.

At the rare occasions when he is allowed to take a step into the courtyard, the first thing he does is look tothe sky. He just stands there, head tilted at the most extreme of angles. I know he wants to know more than what lies within the walls of this house.

And today, he was able to climb over those walls.

Engel and I close the door to our quarters and look at each other in despair. We both know that Kilian is putting his life on the line. Considering the amount of cruelty she has given us, Miss Arnet would surely punish him to death if she discovers his disappearance.

The gears in Engel's head are turning at maximum speed. The way he furrows his eyebrows and lightly pulls on his hair gives that fact away.

I approach my brother and attempt to rest my hand on his shoulder. Much to my inconvenience, I have to raise myself slightly on my toes to be able to reach him. After all, the most apparent characteristic that sets my brother and me apart is our height.

The reassurance that I want to give him does not come into words. Instead, my mind is brimming with clouded thoughts as I simultaneously try to formulate a feasible plan in my head.

I search and implore for an answer in the depths of his lustrous eyes.

And as the lights dance exuberantly on their surface, it finally occurs to me.

"Engel, I have to go outside."

The lights die off as soon as his gaze is veiled with a sheet of worry.

I explain as I try to withstand his burdening stare, "Miss Arnet's nap usually ends right before supper. That should be in roughly two hours."

I elaborate further, "This might give me enough time to find Kilian, bring him back in time, and make it seem as if nothing happened. I know it's risky, but it's the only logical way to save him, Engel."

I despise the look of his eyes. Their usual spark disappears and the crease between his brows slowly intensifies.

"This is not safe at all," he points out.

"I know. But just trust me."

Engel looks at me for a brief moment and turns away, hiding his distress in the shadows of the room. "If you get yourself involved in this too, she might end up killing you both," He murmurs.

I grab the side of his arms. "But we have to do something—anything," I add with greater desperation, "If we want Kilian to be safe."

His face remains hidden from me.

I urge once more, "Engel, I can do this."

I pray that he didn't catch the doubt intertwined in my words.

But to my relief, I find that the lights returned to his eyes.

"I have always trusted you, haven't I?" He sighs and says, almost in the form of a whisper, "And I guess... I still do."

With great confidence, I plant a small kiss on his forehead and proceed towards my bed. An ivory cloak hangs from the bedpost, drowning in the dusted light from the window above. It typically serves to be my sole source of warmth during the winter months, but it will serve for a different purpose today.

As I grab the hood of the garment, a robust hand rests on my arm.

"Be careful, okay?"

I want to tell him that nothing bad will happen to me; that I will definitely return with Kilian by my side without a single scratch on our bodies. Yet I can't bring myself to have such confidence.