Chapter 6: Preparation*

Within Wall Maria, Trost District

A newborn wails in the arms of a loving mother.

A child makes her first shaky step towards the outstretched hands of a proud father.

A joyous group of children runs in circles, repeating their antics from the previous day.

The innocence, purity, and luminous nature of adolescence rings with fervor in the secluded town.

Yet one cannot hear such a ring if the town is scrutinized to the many winding, lesser known alleys and streets where corruption resounds an oppressive toll on children.

Especially for those with hearts unfit for the deeds needed to survive under the oppression.

Within the tight space of a long alleyway, two children run weightlessly over puddles of sewage, tainting their already sodden feet. The younger sister runs with a heavy chest as she tries to keep her pace consistent with that of her agile brother. Sweat beads on her small face, collecting much of the dust and dirt that has accumulated on her skin for several days. Her eyes are drained of light, and her lips are cracked by her quick, arid breath.

The two eventually reach a point at which the alleyway meets a busier road. A few stalls lie along the edge of the street, displaying items in a lively, welcoming manner. However, they continue to lurk in the shadows of the dark alley in fear of the bustling conditions that lie before them. The liveliness is a blinding light that they cannot bring themselves to soak under.

As they lean against one of the walls surrounding them, the little one tugs on her older brother's shirt and asks him, "Why are we here?"

The older one peers beyond the corner, then returns to tend to his sister. "We're getting some food." 

A look of confusion crosses her face as she sticks her hands in and out of the pockets of her cardigan. "But we don't have money to buy food," she informs him.

"You think I don't know that already?" The distressed brother responds, a bit annoyed by his sister's remark. However, his knitted eyebrows indicate sudden determination. "We're getting those potatoes over there," he tells her while directing his gaze beyond the edge of the wall.

The sister grabs her brother's legs while she gets a good glimpse of their target. She finds that they are within a few feet from a relatively small wooden cart filled to the very top with dusty potatoes. 

She pulls at her brother's shirt more furiously. "We're going to steal from that?" She shakes her head in opposition and tightens her grip around his legs. "I don't want to."

"Oi, if you don't want to starve, we have to do what we ought'ta do. You hear me?"

It takes her a while to process their current situation. A growing fear brings an additional period of hesitancy, but as she raises her head to observe her composed brother, she finally accepts the mission.

Her suttle nod relieves the tense boy. "Alright," He mutters while bending down to his sister's level and holding up two fingers. "All I ask is that you bring me this many potatoes. I'll keep watch, okay?"

The little one braces herself. "W-Why me?"

He replies, "Because you're small enough to go unnoticed."

As the girl is pushed forward, she makes one more glance behind her, asking for her brother's reassurance. He continuously nods to give her the small bit of confidence that she needs to follow through with the plan.

In order to get this robbery done and over with as soon as possible, she shuts her eyes and makes a light jog towards the adjacent cart. She finds her two hands on two plump potatoes and starts to return. However, the soft crying of a baby forces her eyes to open and stops her feet.