Chapter 9: Incomprehensible

Within Wall Rose, Outside Trost District
{Levi's POV}

I know she's crying.

After holding it in for so long, she is finally releasing all her pain, her frustration, and her sorrow. Why did she keep this outflow of emotions in for so long?

This girl is rather strange.

I look around to see if my subordinates notice. They all look towards her with grim faces, but I doubt they acknowledge her silent cries.

I turn back to look at the girl named Renata. She clutches the sides of her drenched dress as she looks towards the direction of the wall in the distance.

She wouldn't be like this if it wasn't for Erwin.

Erwin's plan was too reckless. Without even thinking anything through, he barged into this girl's life and gave her hope for a better future. Upon doing this, unpredictable events changed the course of his plan, and as a result, shattered her future. But, he still wants her to join the Survey Corps. Will she really join after all that she's experienced these past couple of days? It all depends on whether or not she's willing to work with the people who ultimately had a role in her brother's death. There is a possibility that she'll join with the motive to avenge her brother's death, formulating a plan to kill Erwin or either one of us. However, the chance for that happening is evidently slim, for she said herself that she cares for us Survey Corps soldiers. She wouldn't do anything as rash.

Petra was right about the girl. For some unknown reason, her countenance has a sort of...odd feeling to it. Just by being with her and even talking with her, we feel a type of sensation fill our dark selves. It's a very new feeling to me, and I wouldn't say that I feel "comforted" by it. The others obviously do.

I suddenly recall the day of the procession. She looked at me with her dark, brown eyes with sincerity. I still remember her words:

"I took that arrow because I believe it isn't just for someone to die in the hands of a heartless person like my mistress. It was the only way to do so. Unfortunately, it was a way in which my life had to be at risk to prevent that arrow from killing you. I believe that deep in my heart, it was an act of defending the Survey Corps from the hatred of the people you fight to protect. I hope you can understand."

I shudder. That annoying feeling again.

I return to reality as I see Renata deliberately wiping the combination of tears and rain from her face. She takes a deep breath and exhales. I hear her muffled voice as she says, "Let's go back. Erwin is probably waiting, right?"

Waiting to ask for your enlistment.

I glide my fingers through my wet hair to clear my vision and nod to Eld, who is nearest to me. "You heard the girl. Let's go."

As everyone begins to leave, I stay back to finish one more task.

Turning to the small grave Oluo and Renata had made, I kneel down and hover my head over it. The rain drips from my dark hair and onto the barren soil. From the side of my eye, I can see the droplets of rain on the red roses that circumvent this natural sanctuary.

Another pointless death.

If we hadn't intervened, it wouldn't have even happened.

I am suddenly reminded of a recent memory...

During Erwin's visit to the house of Renata's former mistress, I remember walking to the small kitchen at the end of the hallway to cleanse my hands. As I entered, I saw the tall, broad-shouldered brother of Renata stirring a type of stew in a large pot. He turned as he saw my entrance and pointed to the wash basin in the corner. I nodded and proceeded in the direction of his pointed finger. I then heard his deep, suttle voice as he commented, "You're pretty short for a highly ranked soldier."