Author's Note: Important News

Hello!

As you have probably been aware of my inactivity, I just wanted to briefly update you on the status of this book. I have made a lot of important decisions and thought it would be best for me to dedicate this note to informing you of these decisions.

1) As a conscious writer, I am constantly reviewing my work for any areas on which I can make improvements. I have found that chapters 1-20 contain a lot of these areas. I have observed that I frequently wrote solely about what was happening in the story, as opposed to clarification on characters, visual description, and significance of the story's events to characters and the book as a whole. It was challenging to find a balance in this, and it seemed that I put much more weight on what everyone did and what happened instead of everything else.

I know I shouldn't be doing this, but since I have come up with several ideas on how to improve these chapters, I have been making revisions outside of the Wattpad site and on a separate program. This means that I haven't made any changes on the story as you see it here. However, once I finalize the revisions I will eventually make elsewhere, I will publish the changes altogether.

The changes won't be too drastic. Rather, I intend to provide a clearer view on the characters and plot, similar to what I believe I have been able to achieve in the recent chapters. In other words, you won't miss anything big if you decide not to read the revisions I make.

(I may provide additional backstory to Engel, which you may need to look over as I plan on incorporating it in future chapters)

I apologize if you consider this as an inconvenience. The beginning chapters have been bothering me almost to the point of insanity. I hope that the end result will not hurt your experience in reading my story in any way.

For your convenience, I will keep a check-list of chapters that I have finished revising below:

☑️Chapter 1
☑️Chapter 2
☑️Chapter 3
☑️Chapter 4
☑️Chapter 5
☑️Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Notes to keep in mind:
•This will be updated frequently so you can accurately follow the status of my progress.
•I may add onto this list if I find any additional chapters that need editing.
•I know this list looks daunting, but some of these chapters vary in the amount of editing they need. Some may need few changes. Some may need a lot.
•IMPORTANT: Just because there is a check next to a specific chapter, doesn't mean that you will find that the chapter has changed when you go back to look at it. I will remind you again that I am making revisions outside of the Wattpad program.

2) I know what you are going to ask me. "Kamisama961, does this mean that you aren't going to be making updates to the story?"

I will continue to write additions to the story, don't you worry one bit. But because I am simultaneously working on revisions in the meantime, I will warn you that updates will be slow.

3) This isn't an established decision yet, but I wanted to gain some of your opinion on an idea.

I am not sure if you have seen the show, but Attack on Titan Junior High (Shingeki! Kyojin Chūgakkō) has been the highlight of my weekends. I swear, everything about this show is hilarious. I can't even explain. The portrayal of our beloved soldiers as middle schoolers has been captured rather beautifully in this show. I love it so much.

As the creator of Renata Mendelssohn, I have fully immersed myself in her life and mind and have grown a special bond with her as a result. Therefore, I am constantly thinking about her. So when this show came up, I automatically began picturing chibi version of Renata attending Titan Junior High School. I could not handle all the possibilities. I could easily see her being the quiet student in the class who only shows her intelligence when called on. She would be an avid member of the environmental club at the school due to her love for nature. But on the side, she seeks to promote a bully-free environment in the hallways of the school. And then there's her brother. Engel is an upperclassmen who every girl has a crush on because he's got that angelic aura going about him.

I don't know. That's kind of the gist of it.

So moving on to what I'm trying to point out...

I think I would have a lot of fun writing a parody of Perennial Rose based on the official parody of Attack on Titan (if that makes sense...). Generally, if I were to make this happen, I will write the story in a different tone that will fit with the hysterical feel of the actual show.

Do you recall "the voice" that I used in the Intermission? The tone will kind of be like that, except a bit more witty. Ultimately, it won't be consistent with the elaborate description used in this story.

My sister will also be the coauthor of the story. I'm not sure if you remember, but she was the one who made up that sidetracked alternative to Chapter 34 with Levi farting. Although that was rather immature, my sister is a very clever and witty person. I'm sure she will be able to integrate some worthwhile humor into it.

I have actually started working on it just for fun and will provide you with a sample below:

"Engel, can we go home now?" She pleads as she tugs at her brother's sleeve. Her lips are wobbling waves with a magnitude of an 8 on the Richter's scale. Those anime beads of tears hang on the edges of her eyes. Very typical.

This is Renata Mendelssohn. Age 11. Now entering as a Second-year in Kyojin Junior High School.

And that angel of a senpai walking with her through the school gates is her brother. No more can be said about him. He's just your typical heart-throb. Flowery, sparkly aura included.

"Don't tell me you're scared of going to school?" He says as he passes by several girls fawning over his angelic beauty.

Renata yanks on his freshly ironed uniform. "No...B-But I left my bag at home!"

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the youngest master of lies alive on this planet.

Didn't catch my sarcasm?

That's understandable. Considering the fact that I didn't direct your attention to the shoulder bag she's been carrying all along.

The angel sighs and crouches down to look at his beloved sister in the eyes. "Hey, I know moving here in the middle of the school year is tough. But just wait. You'll be loving it in no time." He wipes her tears with the edge of his sleeve and warms her with his smile. Insert the squealing of Japanese school girls in the distance here.

Meh. It's a work-in-progress.

I also kind of like the idea of chibi middle schoolers Renata and Levi having a bit of a school love story. But I probably won't make this the main theme of the story. I'd like to write more about her interactions with this parodied environment.

In addition, I want to somehow allow readers to interact with Renata herself. So I was thinking... In response to students' dissatisfaction with the school environment and how they suffer from the discrimination between Titans and humans, Renata has set up a box in the school in which students send in concerns and suggestions for changes. However, readers can "send" any questions or requests for Renata through this box by using the comments section. Then, a whole chapter will revolve around Renata receiving a particular "letter" from a reader and her actions in answering or fulfilling what was asked or requested. So this little Q&A will occur occasionally within the book.

I just want to gauge people's interest in the idea of this prospective book. In conclusion, it will be a mix of parody and readers' interaction with Renata. Is it worth it? Would you enjoy it? Please feel free to comment your opinion.

This was a long note, and I apologize for taking your time. I have made a lot of major decisions and came up with a few ideas while I was inactive, and wanted to inform you about them.

If you have read this note to the very end, I appreciate your attention and effort. Really. Thank you.

Thank you for reading Perennial Rose!

-Kamisama961