Chapter 14: A Test of Trust

Within Wall Rose, Survey Corps Headquarters

I open my eyes to find myself drenched in the light of the early dawn.

Remembering my meeting scheduled before sunrise, I furiously untangle myself from the bed sheet I was bundled in and step on the cold, cement floor with my bare feet. My hand brushes against my pillow in the process and I am surprised by the wet surface. I look back to the pillow and find the stain of what I assume to be my own tears covering the entire area. I touch the side of my face and find it completely dry. Why is my face dry when my pillow is so wet? I mean, I must have cried last night...my pillow is soaked. Surely, my tears couldn't have dried that fast...

Pushing the thought aside, I change into my uniform and head outside. I look around the hallway to find that everyone has already left. Panicking, I rush down the stairs and through the empty reception hall towards the front doors. I open them to find the whole squad getting ready to mount their horses. I call out to them, "I'm so sorry!"

As Eld pats his horse's neck, he responds, "We weren't leaving yet anyways. Just make sure you're not late again."

Suddenly feeling conscious about my morning appearance, I run to the well and messily splash the water onto my face. I then rush to the stables across the well and pull at the reins of my horse. Petra had already trained me on my equestrian skills from the very beginning of my time here so I have a better grasp on handling horses. I had been given a grey, muscular horse with a silvery, luscious mane. I still haven't decided on a name for her yet, but I've been considering if it's really necessary to give her one.

After a few minutes, I had fastened the saddle on my horse, successfully mounted on her back, and gained full control over the reins. I then approach the group that is patiently waiting for me. I see Levi motion for me to come towards him and I follow his orders. He suddenly throws what I assume to be the 3-D maneuver gear at me and I successfully catch the heavy equipment. He looks at me tiredly and explains, "Hold on to that until we get to the forest. You'll put it on when we get there."

He then snaps at the reins as his horse lifts its upper body in the air and surges forward. The rest of the squad and I do the same and we head out towards the horizon as the morning sun gradually makes its appearance in the lonely sky.

/~・~/

We arrive at our destination after a short journey towards the east of the headquarters. It is a strange forest, since it comprises of a cluster of gigantic, towering trees in the middle of flat, grassy terrain. The branches of the trees are farther up the trunks and the canopy of leaves gives shade to the forest floor. Tiny rays of sunlight enter through little spaces between leaves, giving light to the shady forest in a kaleidoscopic manner.

The reins of our horses are neatly fastened on a rope tied around the trunk of a tree. Petra and Gunther are grooming the horse's shining coats as Levi, Oluo, and Eld help me adjust the 3-D maneuver gear on my body. It comprises of two metal, rectangular box-like machinery fitted at my thigh, which has several compartments for the replaceable blades of the swords. On top of the boxes are thin gas tanks that provide gas for the gas propeller adjusted on my back. This part of the equipment is what allows me to propel myself forward through the pressure of the gas pushing the opposite direction. Wires connect the device with two handheld operating mechanisms that look very much like two guns. The operating mechanisms contain several switches and pistons that ultimately control the gas propeller on my back and the equipment around my waist, which functions as a mechanism that launches two grappling hooks. These hooks will attach to a surface of some kind, like the trunk of a tree or the flesh of a Titan, and I will be able to swing through the air in that direction. This is what I understood from my mentor's endless lectures, and I am anticipating a lot more lectures as I ultimately fail at using this complicated device correctly.