Chapter 11: Until Our Next Embrace

Within Wall Maria, Trost District

Erwin says that I have to leave right away.

Petra gives me a brand new military uniform and I enter my room to change into the new clothes. Closing the door behind me, I push my hair to the side and place the clothes on my mattress. They are folded neatly and in a manner in which the green cape displays the emblem of the Wings of Freedom gleaming with pride. I take the white pants from underneath the pile and put them on, one leg at a time. The waist fits perfectly, but the ends of the pants cover my feet completely for its length is a bit too much for my short legs. Next, I fasten the brown sash around my waist and put my arms through the sleeves of a white buttoned up shirt. While fastening each button of the crisp shirt, I approach the small side table at the edge of my bed. I notice a piece of paper on the ground and pick it up. I turn it to see the other side and find my messy sketch of Engel. I grab the light brown jacket on the bed and gracefully swing it behind me. As I put my arms in the sleeves, the warmth of the layers of clothing wraps around my body; my body has never experienced the comfort that proper clothing provides. I look down at my chest to see the emblem of the Wings of Freedom on the front pocket. As I take the green, bulky cape in my arms, I leave towards the door. Before entering the hallway, I discretely insert the paper with my sketch of Engel inside the breast pocket displaying the emblem of the Survey Corps.

Walking down the seemingly endless hallway, I find Gunther waiting in the main room with a pair of leather boots in his hands. He confronts me and says, "We weren't sure what size would fit you, but I tried to find the smallest. Could you try them on?" He lifts up the tall boots.

I come closer and examine the boots. I finally respond, "I think they will fit. It wouldn't hurt to try, though." I take the boots and sit down on the nearest wooden chair. My foot slips into one and the other foot mimics its action. I stand and walk from one end of the room to the other. My toes hit the walls of these unfamiliar shoes as I stride across the dining area.

Turning to face Gunther, I confirm, "They feel okay. I'm just not comfortable wearing boots. I've never worn these kinds of shoes before."

He smiles and nods, "Well, it's a relief that they fit. Otherwise, we would have needed to custom make a pair just for you."

I hear the creaking sound of the door behind me and turn around to find Petra and Oluo with a bundle of leather straps. She raises them in the air and exclaims, "I think I found the perfect size!"

Petra approaches me with the array of bulky leather straps and belts. She explains, "This is part of the 3-D Maneuver Gear that you will be using. This body suit is the weight-shifting equipment used for your vertical maneuvers. We usually keep these on our bodies for the whole day, regardless of whether or not we are using the 3-D Maneuver Gear. I'll show you how to put it on."

As she brings the gear over my head and on my shoulders, Oluo and Gunther show me where each part of the equipment attaches to and how to adjust them properly. It is a bit confusing at first, but thinking about the physical and mechanical functions of the gear helps me understand where everything goes. As I fasten the last buckle of the leather strap that goes around my thigh, Petra inspects my work with the equipment and says, "This is perfect. Well done."

After a few minutes of silence, Gunther says from behind me, "I need to inform you that Erwin has consulted with the commanders of the other two military divisions, Pixis Dot and Nile Dock, as well as the head of all three divisions, Darius Zackly, about your special enlistment. They reluctantly agreed after much convincing. Within the lines of this agreement, Nile Dock, the commander of the Military Police, has agreed to let Kilian be taken care of by his wife. Rest assured, Renata, everything has been carefully planned out for your convenience."