Chapter 42: Tonight's Final Ordeal {COMPLETELY REVISED}

{The music is optional. If you do enjoy listening to music while reading, I advise starting the music towards the middle or end of the chapter. ^_^}

Within Wall Rose

We slip outside the building with sure steps, prying ourselves from the suffocation within the castle. I keep my toes close to Levi's heels as I follow him to the unkempt stables in front. Horses stomp their hooves in irritation of our presence while we pull ourselves over the saddles of our steeds and set out for the great land that I had seen from above.

I have no idea where I'm going.

But wherever he is taking me, I will gladly follow him.

It has always been this way.

He is my guide through thick and thin as his dim light illuminates the inclined path ahead of me.

I acknowledge that I am not his only follower. Many others depend on him to show them the way. He emits a countenance that somehow assures us that we can trust him.

However, there are points in our long journey when some lose track of the road below their feet. He doesn't turn back to find them. Instead, he continues onwards. For the sake of all those who tail behind him, he doesn't risk leaving his position to find his lost followers.

Slowly and calmly, he marches forward.

I am one little sheep out of the many in his flock who watch his back as he does so.

One divergent little sheep. Alone and afraid in the thick forest of my own thoughts.

My baaing will not be heard from so far away.

So what good will it do to cry out for help?

/~~/

We come to a halt at the bottom of a high hill which tries so hard to reach for the blank sky. Levi dismounts his steed with ease, walks in my direction, and grabs the reins of my rather fidgety horse. He strokes its firm jaw to calm the animal as a surprisingly tender look befalls him as he does so.

I bring my left leg over the seat of the saddle and pause as the great distance from the ground overwhelms me. I hesitate before jumping off the high stirrup, afraid that I might shock my already weakened bones.

So being the hidden gentleman that he is, Levi holds out his arms as he looks up at me with dreary eyes. I lean closer with much reluctance, but he takes hold of my waist with no time-consuming hesitation. With his sheer strength, he tactfully slows my descent to the ground. He then directs me to the top of the hill and I sheepishly follow in his lead.

Upon reaching the leveled peak, I am blinded by red.

Roses.

I remain immobilized at the face of the reminiscent scenery. I find myself unable to go past where my feet have stationed themselves. I continue to keep still until a light push on my back unlocks my knees and ushers me forward.

I glide through this meadow of crimson flowers. The soft petals kiss my fingertips as I stretch my hand towards their faces gleaming with vibrance. A sweet aroma swirls around the air above, hinted with the scent of fresh air.