Chapter 31: Renata's Squad

Within Wall Rose, Survey Corps Headquarters

"Squad Leader Renata Mendelssohn will call the names of those who will be in her squad."

My heart jumps a little and I nervously make my way to the front of the large crowd of newly admitted trainees. They stand tall with their fists thrust upon their breasts, feverishly awaiting the sound of their names.

I approach Erwin and he hands me the paper containing the names of my future squad members. After briefly examining this list of strangers whom I would be meeting shortly, I look upon the multitude of soldiers organized in rows and columns. Their eyes follow a path destined to myself, weighing me down with their anticipation.

I clear my throat and announce, "The following people will be in my squad. Present yourself when your name is called."

I trace my focus down the list carefully.

"Mina Reuter!"

"Here." The dull voice belongs to a broad-shouldered girl with sharp eyes. A noticeable beauty spot accompanies her left eye, further intensifying her edgy appearance. She wears her short, light blonde hair in a small ponytail that hovers over the nape of her neck.

"Luki Elstein!"

"Here!" This time, a voice as shrill as Kilian's identifies itself. However, I can sense a touch of masculinity hidden in his tone of speech. I look towards the location of this person to find a short boy with chestnut hair. His bangs are swept to the side, revealing his wide eyes sparkling with ambition.

"Lissa Maier!"

"Here!" A girl with an impressive height reverberates her high-pitched voice throughout the crowd. Her brown hair is styled in a boy's cut, exposing her pale neck and cheeks to the morning sun. She briefly makes eye contact with me, giving me a chance to see her grey eyes, but averts her gaze away in a hassle.

"Kain Strauss!"

"Here." The deep voice cuts through the air like a dull knife. The daunting man in the center column is undoubtedly the tallest trainee present within the crowd. Locks of his dark brown hair are brushed into a soft point above his forehead and he stares at me with narrow eyes.

"Ilyse Konig!"

"H-Here..." The girl who had stuttered with her identification is fortunately in the front row; I would have not been able to hear her if she were elsewhere. Her golden blonde hair is cut to her chin and her straight bangs shadow her eyes. She bites her pink lips, making them a soft peach.

These five individuals all identified themselves with voices of different pitches, tones, and volumes. Their varying appearances give them all their own character as they have different heights, hairstyles, hair colors, eyes, and facial expressions. And without a doubt, they each have different reasons for being here, further characterizing their individual personalities.

This overwhelming amount of differences will either combine into one unified power like Squad Levi's, or clash with each other, only to leave me with a disorganized mess.

I prepare myself for both possible occurrences, hoping the former will be our fate.

/~・~/

I never thought silence would be such a bothersome noise.

The five new soldiers surround my desk, staring me down like I am being interrogated by them. Not one person has muttered a word since I led them to their quarters.

I clear my throat for what seems like the twelfth time today and begin, "I commend your brave decision to join us. First off, I would like to break the silence for a moment and allow everyone to get to know one another. You will be fighting alongside each other and it is important to build comradeship."