Chapter 5: Her Resolve*

Within Wall Maria, Trost District

Essential for his plans.

It sounded all too familiar to Levi.

He must admit that the girl who managed to fight all those men was pretty impressive. But Levi couldn't help but wonder: what made Erwin so enthusiastic about her? There are thousands of others who are skilled in combat, yet he has decided to pay special attention to her. 

It was truly an odd turn of events which he had decided to pursue.

But Erwin is a man of surprises.

With an intuition that his soldier trusts wholeheartedly.

Recent reports from fellow troops have indicated that the tavern served as a secret location for the trafficking of women and children. The people involved in this illegal doing kidnapped these helpless souls to sell for labor and prostitution. A messenger was subsequently sent to the Military Police to request for an arrest warrant.

 Additionally, the man who had almost killed Levi was still yet to be identified. Regardless of this, Levi held the least bit of concern for the danger that he was previously caught in. People driven by greed and mental insanity exist in this prison of a world. He cannot refute this fact.  

However, it seems that some people are rather sensitive to it.

 For example, the woman lying unconscious in the cart behind Levi as he trots down a narrow street along with his squad and the commander himself.  

In front, Kilian attempts to lead the way for these soldiers with pride. But his followers can easily sense his anxious mien from the way he fiddles nervously with his fingers.

Levi looks to his left where Oluo and Petra are pulling the cart at a significantly slow pace. Exhaustion tugs at their sore bodies as they trudgingly take part in this side task.

Miraculously, Gunther managed to take the arrow out of the pit of her collar bone with minimal blood loss, leaving no chance for her to die from the injury.

Levi watches the cart for a brief moment, but finds this rather bothersome and instead keeps his focus upfront.

He is unable to believe that someone was foolish enough to take that arrow. A stranger like her should not have risked her life for someone whom they barely even know.

He can't quite understand. Sacrifice is the worst way for a person to end their lives. Indeed, the recipients of the sacrifice gain some benefits. However, the whole ordeal makes the benefactor's life seem like nothing but a piece of scrap that can be easily thrown away.

And Levi did not like this idea one bit.

The soldier motions his horse to move forward to where Erwin silently rides at a slow canter. The commander's focus is set upon the young leader up ahead while his thoughts wander elsewhere.

Levi remarks with an unwaveringly straight face, "I hope you realize how absurd this is."

To his annoyance, Erwin does not respond.

After a short interval of a silence joined with the clicking of hooves, Levi makes a quick glance to the left of him. "There's no point in keeping it inside that dense head of yours. I know you have a plan behind this."

Erwin's face does not move the slightest. Contemplation has overcome him as his tense expression reflects his searching for the right response.

Levi waits. For an unusually long period of time.

At last, he manages to explain, "Her strengths are overwhelming. In just a few minutes, I was able to witness someone who could defeat several people bigger than an ordinary person with her stature could ever handle. In just a few minutes, I saw how tactical she was and how she was able to establish her priorities. Levi, I'm not just talking about her ability to fight impressively, I'm talking about her resolve. She has what it takes to be part of the Survey Corps. Maybe even a squad leader."

"Tch, a squad leader? What kind of squad leader intentionally puts themselves at risk?" Levi asks in an outrage.

 "You saw it with your own eyes, Levi. No one reacted to the arrow except Renata. She anticipates the worst in situations, but that is what makes her ready to fight, defend, and protect. In addition, if she was just a second late in her ascent in the air, the arrow would have most likely hit her heart. We need someone who is brave enough to take risks, and is as precise in their calculations as she is."  

He pauses and mumbles, "Yes, this is indeed her."

This utterance has allowed Levi to confirm his suspicions. There was something all too odd about the course of action which Erwin has chosen to take.

"Commander!" Petra shouts.

Both the commander and his subordinate look behind and see Petra next to the girl. She has gained enough consciousness to be sitting upright.

Levi turns to where Erwin is, but he finds that he has already started heading towards the cart.

The soldier faithfully follows soon after.

----------------------------

Note: Revised version published on 4/1/2016