Chapter 20: Let Fate Play

Within Wall Maria, Humanity's Lost Territory

Is this the end?

As I helplessly hang from the wires of my gear, the leaves dissolve in the seeping sunlight, transforming into the familiar image of a not too distant memory.

It was last night, the night before our expedition. After finishing my nightly duties in the captain's office, I was leaving for my room when I had asked Levi, "Is there anything I should keep in mind for tomorrow? You know, something I should know before entering the outside world?"

Instantly, Levi's voice echoes in my head:

"Anything can happen outside the walls. We never know what will. We do know that we have to expect the unexpected...And we have to deal with it whether we like it or not."

I finally understand.

The growing loudness of the approaching Titan wipes away the image of Levi's concentrated face from my vision. Judging from the frequency of its steps, the Titan has gradually increased speed.

Engel, I'm sorry... I knew I would be with you someday, but I'm afraid that day has come a bit early.

I shut my eyes closed and extend my arms to the sky. I hope you're satisfied with how much I used your wings. Even though it was only for a short time, they have allowed me to experience the unimaginable.

I whisper a brief, "Thank you."

This unexplored world is beautiful and very breathtaking.

But it is also very cruel.

"Renata!"

I immediately open my eyes. Levi?! That was his voice...That was definitely his voice.

Due to my current position, I am unable to look around my surroundings to locate his whereabouts. However, from the direction in which his call came from, I speculate him to be in the direction of my feet; the exact location where the Titan is proceeding from. I frantically yell, "Levi, it's coming your way! Get out-"

"Take all your gear off except the wire attachment! Let go of the wires when I say so!"

I pause.

"TAKE THE GEAR OFF!"

I reluctantly unlatch the straps of my full-body gear with my hands shaking from the initially lethargic sounds of the giant's steps growing louder and more frequent. After letting the full gear fall to the ground, I remain hanging solely from the belt around my waist, in which the wires are attached to.

Then, everything becomes dark as the frightening sound of approaching steps becomes no more and three stubby fingers hover over my body. I hold my breath. This is the end. This is the end. This is the end.

Suddenly, I am showered with a hot liquid which gushes out of the open knuckles of the gigantic hand like raging water in a storm. I catch sight of a green cloak passing by this severed hand and hear Levi shout, "NOW!"

I unfasten the secure belt around my waist and my body tumbles out of its protective embrace. As I fall, I feel my braid loosen and lose its firmness, causing my hair to flail furiously in the updraft of the air.

My body slams against something and I feel two arms wrap around my back. They pull me into an extremely tight embrace, burying my face into the recognizable material of the Survey Corps uniform. I raise my head up only to find Levi's pronounced jawline and chin indescribably close to me. He lowers his eyes at me and whispers in a struggled tone, "Oi, I'm losing grip."

I swiftly wrap my arms around his neck and move myself around him, so that the front-face of my body lies comfortably on his back. I gently enclose my legs around his stomach, being extra cautious not to suffocate him.

"This is a bit better." He says as we angle around an incoming tree. "I couldn't see with you're crazy-ass hair blocking my view."

I let out what seems to be a combination of a laugh and a cry. I then lower my face against Levi's shoulder and ask him under a short breath, "How did you know I was in that situation?"

The tips of his luscious hair touch my forehead in the gentle breeze as he replies, "Some red-haired girl arrived just in time to tell us what happened. Erwin ordered me to get you out of trouble."

Julliet did that?

Levi slightly turns his head to the side, his cheek making contact with my head. "She was crying like hell. Renata, what sort of thing did you do to her to make her like that?" He asks with a weak tone of playfulness. Crying? Crying for what?

As his cheek remains stuck on my forehead, I notice something irregular about him. I bring my hand to his neck. The sensitive skin of my palm receives an unbelievably immense dissipation of heat. "You're burning up." I then gather his hair away from his face and place the palm of my hand on his forehead. "There's no doubt about it. Levi, once we go back to the others, you're going to the medics. No excuses."

We come close to a tree and he pushes off of the trunk in another direction. I catch sight of horses in the far distance as Levi speaks with a subtle tone.

"You know, there are some things you need to set aside to worry about later..."

"Especially when you're comrades are about to get eaten."

/~・~/

Our journey back to Trost seemed surprisingly short. It's been a well-known notion for trips to be longer going to the destination than coming from it.

We had come across a number of Titans trying to penetrate our formation. Of course, many had unwillingly fallen into their hands. Because I had lost my gear in the forest, I was not able to prevent this from happening. Thus, my mental suffering grew worse. So many innocent lives lost... in such a short period of time...

Levi had not obeyed my words. He never went to the medics. After he had set me down on my horse, he just mounted on his own and proceeded forward at once. This angered me greatly, but I knew I couldn't do anything about it. Levi has his own reasons for doing things.

Then, there was that dreadful procession through Trost.

Since the day Kilian had run off in the streets to see such a thing, I never thought that I would actually be a part of this pathetic showcase through the streets. The townspeople's baleful gaze and painful scowls were like pins stabbing my insides.

What wrong have we done to receive such castigation from the people we fight for and die to protect?

This question must have been in the minds of all who had ridden beside me as we made our way through the streets. The commoners don't understand what perilous conditions we work in. When I was minutes away from death due to my gear malfunction, I understood what these people who look down at us don't. I understood how scary it is to be in such a world where any mistake or lack of luck can cause one to be at death's door in a small matter of time. I couldn't let go of the pain my comrades feel from having to go through this.

My tolerance to this mentally excruciating agony was at my absolute limit.

----------------------
Sorry this was poorly written. I have good and bad days for my writing.

RENATA'S FIRST PIGGYBACK RIDE. WOOT.
Okay so for those of you who think this is impossible with the 3DMG, I will have you know that Ymir rode on Bertolt's back while he was using the 3DMG in the manga. So it is possible!!!! (You can find it in volume 12 of the manga)

Stay awesome, Reader-chan.

-Kamisama961