Day 36: Growing Old

Author's Note: Could take place about a year after Day 5 "Bickering Like an Old Married Couple".

Nathalie hadn't been expecting to see Adrien in the foyer -holding a blanket-wrapped bundle- when she came downstairs one morning.

She hadn't seen him in months, so a smile broke out on her face. "Adrien!"

He grinned back. "Nathalie, it's so great to see you!"

She pulled him into a hug, noticing with a bit of sadness how much taller he was than her now. It had been that way for a while, especially since Adrien was technically an adult now, but she sometimes still thought of him as an innocent 14-year-old. Even though he was married and had a daughter.

"Does your father know you're here?" she asked when she stepped back.

Adrien shook his head. "It's a surprise visit. Speaking of my dad, how are things between you two?"

Her smile was the only answer he needed. "I'm so happy for you," he said.

"He said he has a surprise planned for later today, but-" she paused at the knowing look in his eyes. "I'm assuming you know what it is?"

Adrien shrugged. "Maybe." He held up the bundle in his arms. "I also thought it was about time you met Emma in person."

His newborn daughter looked up at her with Adrien's green eyes, tufts of dark hair on her head.

At this point, Nathalie had only seen pictures of the baby. "She's beautiful!"

Adrien smiled down at Emma. "I know."

"Is Marinette doing well?"

"Yes, she's great. She's already back on her feet."

"Adrien?" The two turned to see Gabriel coming down the stairs. He quickly moved to hug his son.

"Hi, Dad!"

"Is this Emma?" Gabriel's face held wonder as he observed his granddaughter.

Adrien leaned down closer to Emma. "Look, Emma! It's your grandma and grandpa!"

Nathalie smiled softly.

"Would either of you like to hold her?" Adrien asked.

"Of course," Gabriel replied. "Nathalie, you can first."

"No, you should-"

"Here." Adrien stepped forward, positioning them so they each had an arm around Emma.

Nathalie looked at the baby in amazement. It was still hard to believe that Adrien had a child of his own now.

"This would make an amazing photo," Adrien decided, pulling out his phone and taking a picture. "And since we have babies on the mind, I was wondering if you might one day have any plans for . . ." He pointed to his daughter.

They blinked at him for a moment before Nathalie realized what he was implying. Her cheeks turned bright red. "Oh, well-" She looked at Gabriel.

Equally as flustered, he added. "Yes, ah, if everyone was in agreement, I think it would be within the realm of possibility."

She'd been expecting a "probably not". She stared at him, surprise overtaking her embarrassment. "Are you sure, Gabriel? We're all getting older, so I didn't think you'd-"

"We still have the rest of our lives ahead of us. Besides, I know Adrien always wanted a little sibling."

Adrien grinned, for a moment looking like the teenager he used to be. "I kind of wished you'd made up your mind when I was still a kid, but better late than never."

Gabriel continued, "But we should discuss the rest of this later."

"During whatever surprise you have planned?" she guessed.

He nodded, looking a tad nervous. "Yes. The only thing I'll tell you now is that I have a stroll in mind."