Chapter 5

★ Mindy ★

"Mindy! Hey!" That's the first thing I hear when I step through the doors of Oak Field High. I let out a groan and head over to my locker, prying it open. I was planning on avoiding Jared all day. To my utter dismay, he was doing the complete opposite.

"You didn't tell me Mandy's your cousin." He stated, yawning and leaning against the locker beside mine.

"Why do you care?" I say bitterly, grabbing my nessecary textbooks out of my locker.

"Because," He ran a hand through his dirty blonde hair. "I want to see her again. I like her."

"Well, Mandy doesn't like you." I scowl.

He looks a little hurt but he trys to hide it. "Can you tell her that I want to talk to her?"

"She left." I blurt.

He crinkled his forehead. "Left?"

"Yeah," I mutter. "She went back home. New York." I lie.

His face droops. "Oh..." He sighs. "She never told me she was leaving."

"Well she did. She's gone. Forget about her." I snap.

Jared let's out another sigh and kicks a bottom locker. Everyone stops what they're doing and just stares. Jared ignores them. They quickly go back to minding their own business.

"So," Jared begins. "I was hoping to take her out to a movie tonight."

"Too bad." I mutter, slamming my locker shut.

"Do you want to go instead?" He blurts.

My eyes widen. "What?"

"We can...talk about the project." He says quickly.

"During a movie?" I frown.

He shrugs.

"Well-"

"Great!"

"Jared, I-"

"See ya in History." He gives me a three-finger wave and trots off. I'm still in shock. Did he just ask me out? Did I somehow still look Mandy-ish?

I frowned. Of course he was asking me out. He only wants to get close to me so he can get closed to Mandy.

But I am Mandy.

And I'm not letting that happen.

And last night's kiss?

That was Mandy.

Not me.

☢ Jared ☢

I run a hand through my hair and half-run to my locker. What did I just do? Did I just ask Mindy out? I slide down to the floor, shocked at my actions.

I don't know why I did it. Maybe it's because...somehow...she does remind of Mandy. I don't know if it's her way of being or her voice and maybe even her facial features.

Or maybe I'm just trying to fill up the hole Mandy left when Mindy told me she'd gone home. Why would Mandy just leave? Why now? Why after we kissed? I couldn't wrap my brain around any of this.

"Jared!"

I let out an inaudible groan. It was Trinity's voice. I looked up. She was strutting over to me, her brown waves bouncing on her shoulders. She's wearing a tight pair of skinny jeans and a black tank top with "I Want To Be Your Bad Habit" splashed across the front in pink letters. Her also-pink heels click-clack on the tiled floors as she brings herself to a stop in front of me.

"Why are just sitting there?" She pouts.

I stagger to me feet. I was supposed to break up with her. I told Mandy I would. But Mandy left. I don't have to keep that promise anymore.

"Hey, babe." I lean in and give her a quick kiss on her perfectly red lips.

She let's out a moan. "Emma's throwing a party tonight." She tells me. "Her parents are out of town. You should come." She traces invisible circles around my shirt.

"Tonight?" I mumble. Damn. I'd just asked Mindy out for a movie tonight. I don't think she'd mind if I took her out to a party instead...

"Mhm." Trinity takes a step back from me and pushes a loose strand of brown hair off her face. "I'll see you there." She blows me a kiss. "I'm late to Trig." She bounces away, disappearing at the end of the hallway.

I let out a sigh. Maybe I should break up with her.

But she's the hottest, most popular girl at school. She's worth it. Breaking up with her would be social suicide.

And it's not like Mindy would care. Mandy didn't. Did she? I shrug and decide to skip first period. I'm late anyways. I slide back down to the floor and let my thoughts float.

________________

Author's Note: Hm...Comment? Vote? Fan? :)) I don't even know where this story is goin' yet... lol we'll see...