Chapter 7

★ Mindy ★

"Here we are." Jared says as he brings his car to a stop in front of Emma's house. People swarm in and out, most of them with champagne bottles clutched between their fingers.

"It's like a zoo." Collin comments as he exits the backseat.

I pry open the passenger door and slip out. "It's worse than that club."

Jared chuckles as he walks up the stone lot. "It's called a party, James. But I guess you wouldn't know that."

Collin scowls. "Shut up, Michaels. I've been to parties."

Jared clucks his tongue. "Have you?"

"Guys." I frown. "Enough. We're not even inside yet."

Jared holds out his arm as if expecting me to link it to his. "Shall I lead you inside?"

I purse my lips and link my arm to Collin's instead. "Maybe next time." I wink.

Jared narrows his eyes, mostly in Collin's direction. "What? Are blackmailing her?"

I throw my head back and laugh. "He's not blackmailing me, silly." I poke the side of Collin's stomach. "He's just a really good friend."

Jared grits his teeth. "Is he?"

"Yep." I nod, taking a step closer to Collin and smiling innocently.

"Let's go inside." Jared snaps and begins to walk towards the opening and closing mansion door.

Collin and I follow after him. The music was blasting all around us as soon as we stepped through. "Blow" by Kesha was playing and bodies grided up against each other in ways I'd rather not describe.

"Jared!" A highpitched voice chirps over the loud music. Trinity bounces over, clad in tight black mini dress and heels. "You look hot!" She excaims as she plants a smooch across Jared's lips.

He squirmes. "Uh, you too, Trinity. How about you go dance with Derek and I'll catch up with you in a sec? I'm got something to do."

Trinity pouts. "Ok, baby. Stay hot." She kisses him again and trots away, not paying any attention to the fact that Collin and I were standing right there.

"Well." I say breaking the silence. "What's so important that you completely blew off your girlfriend?"

Jared smirks and turns to me. "Is wanting to dance with you considered important?" He holds his hand out to me as a slow song begins to play.

I open my mouth to respond but close it again. Why did that have to play a slow song now? I crossed my fingers for an upbeat song to come on as soon as possible.

"So?" Jared asks again

"You have one minute." I say taking his hand and allowing him to lead me to the dance floor. "Don't get lost!" I yell back at Collin. He simply salutes me and akwardly sways back and forth.

I chuckle and bring my attention back to Jared. He places his hands on my waist and I place mine on his shoulders and around his neck.

"This is nice." He tells me.

"I guess." I mumble.

He pulls me a little bit closer and suddenly my heart feels like it wants to beat right out of my chest. Why do I feel this way?

"You have stunning eyes." He whispers.

I frown. "They're just brown." But as I say that, I look into his. His eyes are brown too, but a light, caramel-colored brown that can drive a girl crazy.