Chapter 9

• Mindy •

The following day, I woke up to the sound of someone ringing the doorbell. I decided to wait for my mother to answer it. When she didn't, I sighed and jumped out of bed, not bothering to change or fix my bedhead.

I scramble down the stairs, tripping a few times in the process, and prying open the front door.

"Hey!" It's Jared, a big cocky grin on his face.

I frown. "What the hell are you doing here?" I snap.

He shrugs and walks past me, making himself at home on my couch without bothering for an invitation.

"We're not working on the project." I inform him. "It's..." I glance over at my clock and gape. "8 am?!?!"

Jared smirks. "C'mon down, Mindy. I just wanted to talk."

"About what?" I scowl, walking over and taking a seat three feet away from Jared. Mandy will never forgive him for what he said at the party. But Mindy... Mindy had to pretend to be clueless.

"Well," He shifts, a smile not leaving his face. "Since you ditched me and made Mandy go to the party instead-"

I cut him off. "I thought you liked Mandy. That's the only reason you invited me to the friggin' party."

Jared sighed, looking defeated. "Ok. So maybe it was. But I regret it. Mandy's just another Trinity." He pauses. "No offense to your cousin. Anyways," He inches closer to me and I pretend not to notice. "Do you want go out with me? I mean, like to a movie or something. Coffee? I don't know."

My mouth drops and I quickly slam it back shut. "Jared," I scoff. "I've known since elementary school and you l've never been nice to me. What's gone into you?"

He looks down and then back up at me. "I broke up with Trinity for Mandy and it was probably the best thing I've ever done. Breaking up with Trinity, I mean. Mandy? She was a mistake. You're different. I can feel it! I want to...I want to try something different."

I snarl, standing up and crossing my arms. "So you want to use me as an experiment? Well, you wanna know something, Jared? I'm EXACTLY like Mandy." I snap and begin to stomp towards the stairs.

"Mindy!" He stands up and follows after me. "That's not true! You're not an experiment. You're not like Mandy!"

"If you only knew." I mutter beneath my breath. "Get out of my house, Jared. I never meant for things to end up this way."

"Mindy." Jared's eyes stare into mine. "Give me a chance."

"No, Jared. I won't." I tell him. "Get out of my house."

He sighs and starts to make his way back to the front door. "It's not over, Mindy. You'll coming begging to be with me. You'll see." He winks and prys open the door, shutting it behind him and disappearing.

I smirk. I'll never give him a chance. I'll never go begging to him. Ever. I hated Jared Michaels. I probably always will.

• • •

I'm sitting in my History class, silently tapping my pencil on my desk while Jared eyeballs me from across the room. I can barely concentrate on the teacher's words, all I can concentrate on is his stare.

"Ok class," Mrs.Edison breaks me out of my trance. "Bring up your projects and place them in front of the room. Make sure your partner's name is on it."

I almost choke. "The project's due today?!" I squeal.

"Don't worry," It's Jared's voice. He's somehow standing beside me, a typed essay in his hands along with what looked to be a 3D map.