Chapter 12

• Mindy •

"You're actually wearing a dress?!" Erin squeals as we stroll the mall. "As Mindy?! Mindy Greene is wearing a dress?!"

I groan. "It's a formal event. I don't really have a choice."

Erin nudges me. "Who would have thought? Mindy Greene loooooooooves Jared Michaels." She puckers her lips as she teases me.

I frown and jokingly shove her. "I do NOT love him!"

"That's what they all say." She flutters her lashes.

I roll my eyes. "I'm not in love with him, Erin. I just like him. That's it."

"Mhm," She raises an eyebrow. "That's still shocking."

"Shut up, Erin." I tell her and then my eyes fall on the manequinn standing on a store's display window. It's wearing a short, strapless, red dress. The top seemed tight but the bottom was slightly puffy and fell above the mannequin's knees.

"That's the one." I say, not giving it a second thought.

• • •

"What is it you asked me over for?" Collin's voice asks from the other side of my bedroom door. I look down at the dress I'm wearing, the one I'd just bought.

I open the door and smile at Collin who's eyes had become as a wide as baseball.

"Whoa," He exclaims. "Mindy, you look...Whoa!"

I chuckle and do a twirl, fluttering my lashes. "I just needed a guy's opinion. I'm guessing you like it."

Collin nods, taking a deep breath of air. "Dang, Mindy. You look beautiful. What's the occasion?"

I take a seat on my bed. "Jared invited me to his family's yearly dinner party. I agreed to go with him."

Collin's mouth drop. "You what?! Mindy, you hated the guy just yesterday!"

"Thing's change!" I blurt. "People change."

"He's not you're type, Min!" Collin tells me.

I huff. "Do you even know my type? Collin, why do you care if I kinda maybe like Jared?"

He dodges my question. "How much?"

"How much what?"

"Do you like him."

"A lot." I say without hesitation. "Believe it or not, Collin. I like him a whole freakin' lot."

"He'll only break your heart." Collin snaps.

"I trust him!"

"Well, you shouldn't!"

"Why do you care, Collin? I like him. So what?"

"Because I love you!" Collin finally yells, throwing his hands up in frustration.

I open my mouth to say something but quickly shut it, both of us falling into silence. He...what? This can't be happening. Collin cannot be in love with me. No way. Not my best friend. It can't happen. Not Collin.

"I've crazy about you, Mindy." Collin breaks the silence. "I care about you."

I stay silent.

He sighs. "I've loved for as long as I've known you and seeing you with Jared just tears me apart."

I purse my lips. "I'm sorry, Collin. I love you...but like a brother."

Collin shakes his head and turns away, prying the door open. "No. I'm sorry."

He disappears, slamming the door behind him.

What the hell just happened?

I fall back on my bed.

You have got to be kidding me.

• Jared •

"Yes, Mom. A girl." I lean against the island, rolling my eyes in my mothers direction.

A small smile falls onto my mother's face. "I never thought you'd actually invite a girlfriend to the dinner party. It's always a guy."

I smirk. "This girl's special.

"Special?"

"Very."

Mom walks over and kisses my cheek, whispering in my ear. "I'm glad to hear you've found a girl that actually means something."

I grin. "She does. She's different."

"That nice." Mom smiles and takes a lasanga tray out of the oven, placing it on the counter. "Can't wait to meet her tonight."

• Mindy •

I struggle to fix my hair, eventually letting it fall in natural waves around my shoulders. I slip on my red heels and gloss my lips, grabbing my purse and making a dash downstairs.

"A car just pulled up." My mom informs me. "Have fun."

"Thanks!" I chirp, running out the front door. Jared's leaning against his black Jaguar. When he sees me, he walks over, leaning his face close to mine.

"Permission?" He whispers, his eyes fixed on my lips.

"Permission granted." I breath, softly pressing my lips against his. He kissed me back and let's his lips linger on mine for a while before pulling away and opening the passenger door for me.

"Thanks." I smile, sliding inside.

He makes his way around and jumps into the driver's seat, starting the ignition.

He gives me a curious look, an eyebrow raised. "You know. You look a hell lot like your cousin tonight."

My heart beat increases. "D-do I?"

He nods but then turns his head slightly to the side, giving me a cocky smile. "But you're more beautiful."

I heave a sigh of relief and smile back.

_____________

Author's Note: Sorry it's short. I failed on making it longer. Anywho, what did u think? Did u like this chap? COMMENT VOTE FAN