Chapter 11

• Jared •

I'm unaware of anything happening in the movie. My eyes are on Mindy who seemed to be enjoying both the movie and her tub of extra buttery popcorn (she's already gobbled down the prezel.)

I watch as she takes a sip of her coke and let's her hand fall down on the arm rest.

Now's the time to make my move, I think to myself.

I slowly reach for her hand, aching to curl my fingers around hers. But her hand disppears, digging back into her popcorn tub.

I heave a sigh and pull my hand back. Mindy was most definitely NOT like other girls.

"Psst! Jared?" Mindy look at me and questionably and holds the popcorn in my direction. "I thought I saw you reach for it. Want some?"

I purse my lips. "I, uh...sure." I say at last, reaching into her popcorn tub and taking a handful of the salty theater food.

I stuff the popcorn in my mouth, frowning as I chew. Mindy was the hard-to-get type of girl.

I wait silently as Mindy finished up the tub and rests her hand back on the arm rest. Ever-so-slowly, my fingers inch towards hers. She doesn't notice, to occupied with the movie.

Her hand stiffens as our fingers finally touch, my hand wrapping itself around hers. Mindy doesn't say anything, simply looks down at back at the movie, her hand relaxing in mine.

I smile to myself.

Jackpot.

• Mindy •

Jared and I walk out of the theater, my hand still in his and I pretend not to notice. I don't know what it was, but when his hand took mine, my heart skipped an infinite amount of beats.

He prys open the door to the passenger seat and I slip inside. He goes around and jumps into the driver's seat, not starting the engine, but looking over at me instead.

"Listen, Mindy." He says, breaking the silence. "My parents are having some yearly dinner party and I can always invite like a friend..." He pauses. "Or girlfriend...and I wanted you to come." There's a glint of hopefulness in his eyes and for once in my life I don't see the popular, hockey jock who likes to annoy and insult me. All I see is Jared. A normal guy who might actually like me and all I've been doing was pushing him away.

I chew on my lip and ponder over the thought for a second. "Is it formal?"

Jared nods. "Sucks. I know. But I...I want you to come. I'm sure you'll look beautiful."

I feel myself blush. "I guess." I shrug. "Did you invite Trinity to the last dinner party?" I ask him and I can feel the disgust in voice just by the mention of Trinity.

Jared throws his head back and laughs. "Are you kidding me? I invited Ray. Inviting Trinity would be suicide."

Now it's my turn to laugh. "You've been dating Trinity since 10th grade!" I exclaim. "I thought you actually liked her."

"She's a pain in the ass, that's for sure." Jared chuckles. "I only dated her for popularity. Big mistake that was."

I couldn't help but smile. "What about me? You've hated me all your life and now...you don't."

Jared sighs. "I never hated you, Mindy. I guess I felt that if I treated you nice, that I'd drop down to the bottom of the social pyramid. I'm sorry for anything I ever said that hurt you. I didn't really mean it. I realize my mistake now."

I feel like he's tugging at my heart all of the sudden, his eyes full of honesty.

"I forgive you, Jared." I tell him.

Jared grins and finally starts the engine, pulling out of the parking lot. "You know?" He says as he drives. "I've never seen you hangin out with your cousin."

"So we're talking about Mandy now?" I frown, not wanting to even go near the topic. Will he ever let her go?

Jared doesn't look at me, instead keeps his eyes on the road. "She's the reason I realized so many things." He admits. "But in the end, I was only a game to her."

"Mandy didn't mean to hurt you." I tell him.

"How do you know that?" He questions.

I run a nervous hand through my hair. "She told me."

"Oh." He mumbles, pulling up into my driveway. "I really liked her."

My heart drops a bit as he gets out of the car and goes around to open my door. We don't say anything as he walks me up to my porch.

"But," He breaks the silence. "I like you more."

My heart begins to hammer in my chest as he begins to lean in, his dirty blonde hair falling over his eyes.

He suddenly stops, backing away. "Sorry." He apologizes, shaking his head. "I'm not kissing you if you don't want too." He turns around to head back to his car. "See you, Mindy."

"Wait!" I grab his wrist, pulling him back.

"Wha-" He begins to ask, but I cut him off, my lips crushing his. I feel him smile as he kisses me back, his arm now around my waist, holding me against him.

All I can say is that I no longer hate Jared Michaels. I like him. A lot.

When did this happen?

_____________________

Author's Note: Sorry it's short! Bear with me!! lol and yay they're finally together!!! I had lost interest in this story it I just gained interest again. Got a lot planned!! Comment Vote Fan!!!