Chapter Eighteen: Just Lunch

Alastor walked through the streets of Hell back to the hotel with a content smile before spotting a billboard with Vox's face and TVs with ads by Vox, causing him to furrow his eyebrows. "Hmph. Who does that big flatheaded abomination think he is trying to woo Charlie?" He huffed under his breath, rolling his eyes before his ears perked up and he stopped in his tracks after hearing a familiar laughter. Charlie? He thought to himself, before looking around and spotted Charlie sitting across Vox at a cafe.

Charlie covered her smile with her hand as she laughed with Vox, seemingly enjoying his stories.

Vox was smiling widely at Charlie, seeing her laugh at his jokes as he was telling her stories about himself. "So I said, 'And you call that a punchline?!' before I took over and finished hosting the game show." He said with a smug look on his face.

Alastor overheard and rolled his eyes at Vox, walking off before stopping in his tracks when he heard Charlie's laugh again.

"Oh, Vox. You're so funny." Charlie chuckled, leaning forward on the table and unknowingly placed her hand on top of Vox's.

Vox laughed with her and leaned forward as well, smiling widely at her when he realized she put her hand on top of his.

Alastor's left eye twitched as he heard Charlie and Vox laughing together. He looked over at them before his eyes widened and turned into radio dials, his antlers growing a bit from seeing their hands touching. He tried to keep his composure, taking a deep breath in. That obnoxious television boxhead will not ruin the plan. The future is set in stone and there is nothing to worry about. He thought to himself, smiling at the idea of his plan becoming a reality. He was about to walk away, feeling confident before he heard Charlie laughing louder. He blinked, Well nothing wrong in seeing how this whole thing ends, he thought to himself. He cleared his throat, disappearing into a shadow. He reappeared behind a tall bush across the street from them and peaked through the bush to watch them, snapping his fingers to place a radio near them so he could hear their conversation.

"But in all seriousness. Again, I would like to apologize for the awful experience you had both times you were invited to join the news." Vox said softly.

"Oh, let's not talk about that." Charlie chuckled awkwardly.

"No, no. Seriously, your apology was long overdue. Trust me, if I was at the studio that day no one would have dared to even think about humiliating you or even think about giving you a hard time." Vox said. "Whether they like it or not, you are the princess of Hell and you deserve respect."

"Thank you, but I don't want people to be forced to treat me with respect just because I'm the princess. I want their respect to be...well...sincere." She said softly. "I don't want them to think I use my title to do whatever I want and get whatever I want just because I'm Lucifer's daughter."

"Wow, you really don't use the power you have, huh?" Vox smiled, chuckling to himself.

Charlie shook her head. "No, not really. I'm not much for politics, I just know the basics and would rather work with the people. That's why I founded the Hazbin Hotel, well...originally the Happy Hotel." She smiled.

"Well, what made you make the change?" Vox asked, taking a drink of his coffee.

"Well, I didn't personally make the change. It was actually Alastor." She smiled. "It was one of the first things he changed when he became a partner at the hotel." She said softly, remembering when she found out Alastor changed the hotel sign from 'Happy' to 'Hazbin' and they spent a whole afternoon arguing back and forth about the name change. Well, she argued while Alastor just kept it going since he was entertained by her annoyance.