22

-Y/N's POV-

As I watched the Queen's carriage roll away, I twirled my engagement ring as I felt a bit of the stress and tension fade away.

At least I know the real reason, but I can't help still feeling lightheaded. Wait, I need to sit down before I fall to the floor again and faint.

I sit down on the chair that faces the window and I hear footsteps coming up to the doorway.

"What did Her Majesty want to talk to you about?" Samuel asks as he tells Josie to fetch me a cup of water for my bed chambers.

I sighed before saying, "She wanted to explain why she was keeping me and Anthony apart. She wanted to make sure he was finished with his Rakish ways and that he was serious about our possible marriage."

Samuel looked at me confused before I explained, "The rumors were true, my father had gambling problems and was unfaithful to my mother. It's why we had to move away shortly after Edmund's funeral."

"That was why Anthony was cold towards you when you came back?" Samuel asks as I nod my head and mention, "He had so much anger."

"Yeah, but not towards you," Samuel says as a confused look appears on my face before he continues, "I know about the letters and bouquets he entrusted Becca to send you. But on one of the days the post came, I got a letter, and Becca wasn't there yet to read it. When she arrived home, we both read it, and we agreed together we wouldn't tell you what it said till it was the right time."

"Now you have to tell me," I respond as Samuel was about to voice his disagreement before I interrupted, "I don't care about my well-being right at this moment. What did Anthony write in that letter?"

Samuel sighed before starting to recite the letter word for word.

Dear Samuel and Becca,

Please tell me it isn't true. Tell me it isn't true of Y/N's father.

If it is, best believe I will make haste so I can challenge that man to a duel!

Everyone in the Ton is eating up this gossip like it's their last meal and is saying abhorrent things regarding Y/N and her mother's name. I cannot stomach what is being said about them.

This is one of those times I wish I was right by Y/N's side and comforting her through this pain and anguish. I can't imagine how alone she must be feeling right now, she needs someone to be there for her.

I need to be there for her, but I can't. Not while I'm still grieving my father's untimely departure and getting used to the new role I've now inherited. She doesn't need this version of me, she needs me to be the best version of me.

Please check on her for me, and if you have, tell me if she's okay. I would like to know, thank you.

-Anthony

I covered my mouth to muffle the sob crawling up my throat as I felt the tears streaming down my face, causing Samuel to make haste and pull me into a hug.

"I immediately wanted to tell you, but Becca made me wait because she knew you wouldn't be ready for that kind of letter at that time," Samuel whispered as he comforted me and shushed to help calm me down.

"When did he send it?" I asked as I felt myself being able to speak.

"Two months after you left the Ton," Samuel responded as he pulled away from the hug and wiped the tears away from my face.