Herbs & Necessities Part 2/3.

(The Herbs & Necessities are organized alphabetically.)

FENNEL.

Description: Has very tiny yellow flower clumps on thin stalks. Very thin and spiky leaves.

Harvesting: cut near roots, be mindful not to damage.

Use: hip pain, coughs, suppresses hunger.

How to use: juice can be consumed to help mostly whitecough, and eases the pain of blackcough. Eating fennel can suppress hunger and hip pain.

Time of growth: mid green-leaf.

Location: grows wild in most temperate areas, easily found around streams or coast.

FERN FRODS.

Description: Not necessarily an herb, but it can be used to cover herbs to help keep them fresh.

Harvesting: Cut near the roots or stems.

Use: Helps to keep herbs fresh and out of dirt, water, and sun.

How to use: Cover your storage using the fan-like plant.

Time of growth: mid green-leaf.

Location: plenty of humidity, generous watering, lots of space, sufficient light without direct sun exposure, and rich, well-draining soil. (WindClan, perhaps near the gorge?)

FEVERFEW.

Description: Has numerous, small, daisy-like heads of yellow flowers with outer white rays. Leaves are broad and downy.

Harvesting: cut near roots, be mindful not to damage.

Use: fever, chills, aches, headaches.

How to use: consume.

Time of growth: mid green-leaf.

Location: found nearly everywhere, but most commonly near water.

FOXGLOVE.

Description: a flower that is long and bell-shaped. Is pink and hollow.

Harvesting: can shake seeds onto a leaf for carrying, or cut close to the roots for a full plant. store above to avoid kittens or other ignorant ones consuming.

Use: Tiny black seeds can cause paralysis and heart failure, but in small quantities can treat heart problems.

How to use: to kill, give a large amount, though strongly advised against. To help with found heart problems, administer small amounts as needed.

Time of growth: grows best in new-leaf or leaf-fall.

Location: grows in temperate regions. (Thunderclan could have some spots for it.)

(Note: do not share with apprentice until they are near their full medicine cat ceremony, as to avoid this knowledge, among the other poisonous plants, being spread.)

GINGER.

Description: Ginger is a knotted, thick, beige stem that grows underground. The stem sticks up about as tall as a cat above ground with long, narrow, ribbed, green leaves, and white or yellowish-green flowers.

Harvesting: Cut close to the stem, or if you have an abundance of the plant pull it out of the ground to store for later.

Use: Helps to ease quick breathing, and is very useful for asthma.