Herbs & Necessities Part 3/3.

(The Herbs & Necessities are organized in alphabetical order.)

OAK LEAVES.

Description: Dry leaves that are taken from the forest floor.

Harvesting: collect from the forest floor.

Use: infection, paw pads.

How to use: chew and apply.

Time of growth: new-leaf through green-leaf to early leaf-fall

Location: forest floors.

OLEANDER.

Description: shrub that can grow up to twelve feet high with wide, white, red, or pink roselike blossoms. Leaves are thin and waxy.

Harvesting: cautiously break near the root, be mindful not to damage, or consume. Risk of death.

Use: death.

How to use: consume.

Time of growth: new-leaf to green-leaf.

Location: It thrives in hot or sunny places.

(note: poisonous to all animals, including cats.)

PARSLEY.

Description: Grows low to the ground. Leaves are broad and crinkly and have ragged edges. Has tiny clumps of five to eight white or yellow flowers on a branching stalk.

Harvesting: cut near the root, be mindful not to damage.

Use: stops milk flow for queens, kills birds.

How to use: consume.

Time of growth: relatively all four seasons, best in early new-leaf.

Location: Found in moist soils that have a lot of sun.

POISON IVY.

Description: Roots are reddish and branching. Leaves are rather large and three-parted. The central leaflet is the longest and the lateral ones are almost stalkless. When dry the leaves are papery and brittle, sometimes with black spots. The plant grows low to the ground.

Harvesting: cut at root, be mindful not to damage.

Use: It can be ingested for a nervous system sedative (temporary paralysis), if touched, can cause a very powerful irritant that causes horrible, itchy skin lesions and can cause fur loss.
How to use: consume.

Time of growth: mid-new-leaf to throughout green-leaf.

Location: Widely distributed in dark parts of forests.

(note: if ingested can cause irritation and delirium.)

POPPY SEEDS.

Description: found in a common field flower that is a rich scarlet color.

Harvesting: pick near the root, and be mindful not to damage.

Use: Seeds are eaten in small quantities for relaxation as a sleep aid; and as a pain killer.

How to use: consume.

Time of growth: The flower will grow from late new-leaf to mid-green-leaf, and the seeds will soon be ripe a little after the flower blooms

Location: fields.