Procedures & Assisting a Kitting.

Procedures!

(Credit to @Confused_as_frijoles on their Medicine Cat Guidebook on the subreddit r/WarriorCats on Reddit (full link at citations).

(Procedures you probably won't be doing daily, as well as detailed instructions.)

EYE REMOVAL.

Clues removal is needed: Severe eye infection (turning internal), heavy bleeding, total blindness, eye hanging out of the socket, the cat is in extreme pain following eye healing.

Procedure:

Give the cat enough poppy seeds to fall asleep for at least 2 hours (unless in a comatic state).

Once asleep prop the cat's head way above the body.

Use smoothened sticks to pull the eye out.

Cut off with a sharp stone.

Firmly stanch bleeding using moss.

Once bleeding stops apply infection prevention poultice in/around the eye and cover it with cobwebs.

Once the cat wakens provide painkilling and shock prevention herbs (described below).

Depending on the cat, recovery is anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 moons.

LEG REMOVAL.

Clues removal is needed: Complete inability to use the leg at all, extreme pain, for infection cases, extreme infection turning internal.

Procedure:

Give the cat enough poppy seeds to fall asleep for at least 3 hours

Prop leg above the cat's head

Wrap a vine/tendril about a paw length above where you're removing

Use a sharp rock to cut through the skin

Break the opened section using heavy rock

STANCH BLEEDING ASAP (if circulation was blocked efficiently, there will not be a horrible amount of blood (steps 2 and 3))

Once bleeding stops cover the wound in infection infection-prevention poultice and wrap it in cobwebs

Provide painkilling and shock prevention herbs

Recovery anywhere from 2 to 6 moons, depending on the cat

TAIL REMOVAL.

Some clues a tail might need to be removed: Extremely damaged tail, heavy bleeding, extreme pain

Procedure:

Give enough poppy seeds to sleep for about an hour

Wrap vine/tendril half a paw length above where the tail is getting cut off

Use a sharp stone to cut the tail

Stanch bleeding

Once bleeding stops cover the wound in infection infection-prevention poultice and wrap it in cobwebs

Recovery anywhere from 3-26 days, depending on the cat

TOOTH REMOVAL.

Clues tooth needs to be removed: Mouth infection after unrelenting toothache

Procedure:

Give enough poppy seeds to numb pain and cause slight drowsiness

Prop cat's mouth open with a stick

Use a sharpened stick to cut cat gum

Use a water-cleaned paw (small paw preferably) to remove the tooth

Have the cat lap up and then spit out water (for cleaning purposes)

Stick moss in cat's mouth over the wound

Let the cat rest, the infection will clear up on its own

Recovery time, 1-3 days

WATER THERAPY.

This can be used for weak cats or cats who suffered an injury for a long while and need to relearn movements more safely.

Preferably wade in with the cat into a shallow spot.

Show movements and have the cat repeat them for as long as you think right.

Assisting a Kitting!

(Basic knowledge to help a kitting queen and the after-care of birth in the wilds.)

YES HERBS.

Borage Leaves: help to bring a queen's supply of milk after or during, should it not have naturally done so.

Parsley: should a queen be injured during birth, this can be used to halt the supply of milk while being treated. Or, if necessary, it can be used after the kits have been fed to maintain supply.

Raspberry Leaves: Helps to reduce and stem bleeding during the kitting process, or afterward. It can be administered before the full birth occurs to assist in pain, DO NOT use poppy seeds.

Fennel: Among other uses, it can help with hunger and hip pain. Use this if the pain is too great. Do not administer alongside raspberry leaves, as too many painkilling herbs can result in not enough feel to push.

Chamomile: This herb helps to calm the mind, so once the after-care is finished and the queen is ready to rest (and cleared to rest) you can administer this to help the possibility of sleeping.

NO HERBS.

Poppy seeds: make the queen tired, and weaker.

Yarrow: makes cats throw up, which is something you should avoid.

Tansy Leaves: may cause a miscarriage.

Any of the dangerous herbs (refer above to 'Dangerous Herbs.')

PROCESS.

(Credit to @Thepalecat "Everything a Medicine Cat Needs to Know." on DeviantArt.)

Get a stick and put it in front of her so she can bite on it and have wet moss ready to use during it.

Once a kit has been born, immediately place the kit in front of the queen (unless the queen is too tired, then you will have to clean the kit, to do so lick the kit fur the wrong way to help warm, once done lay kit at queen's belly.), and administer borage if the milk has yet to come.

Do not give her poppy seeds, as she could become too sleepy to push. Do not give her more than 3-4 herbs during her kitting and be mindful as some herbs and herb combinations will cause her to bleed more or prolong the birth, so go with your gut instinct if you believe she shouldn't be given any at all.

If the queen is not in the Clans camp by the time she has to give birth, make sure that there are a couple of "guard" cats surrounding her. The scent of blood will attract predators. Monitor her and her kit's health for a few days after the birth to make sure the kits are healthy.

Make sure she doesn't feel faint after or during the birth in case she loses a lot of blood. If she feels faint, feed her fresh-kill immediately and give her lots of water. If she is still bleeding after the birth, feed her more raspberry leaves and monitor her carefully.

If the queen has a major attitude change after birth (for example: coldness, not showing kinship to kits, etc) be mindful of that.

Be prepared for complications and possible death if the complications are too great.