30

8 : 53 PM

Ni-ki let out a sigh as he glanced at the digital clock, realizing he was alone in his father's office waiting for him for almost over an hour now

Lost in his thoughts, he was interrupted by the sound of approaching footsteps and the opening of the glass door, revealing his father, or rather his uncle.

His father seemed preoccupied with a phone call, not even acknowledging Ni-ki's presence until he finally hung up.

Despite his father's lack of a smile, Ni-ki remained unfazed, the older's disappointment evident in his expression as he addressed him as

"uncle."

He greeted him, and the older man appeared to comprehend the abrupt change in address-the younger used to call him dad before, but now he was calling him uncle.

"What brings you here?"

He asked, taking off his tie and placing his files on the glass table. It made Ni-ki feel a little guilty that he appeared exhausted.

"We need to talk ."

He simply answered, not wanting to beat around the bush and get straight to the point.

" about me and Sunoo hyung "

His father took a deep breath, trying to compose himself.

"Ni-ki, there's nothing else to talk about. I'd like you to go now as I'm tired and the conversation is over."

He sadly smiled, realizing even his sole guardian didn't want him around.

"I won't leave until you hear me out."

The older man sighed and rubbed his temples in frustration when confronted with the stubbornness of the younger man.

He eventually decided to bring the conversation to an end, but was taken aback when Ni-ki said;

" remove me from the family register "

This demand caused the older man to turn red, stand up from his seat, and scoff in disbelief.

"What did you say? Come again?

He was shocked by what he was hearing.

"You heard me Uncle, All I want is to be with Sunoo Hyung; remove my name from the family register."

Not only his father was angry by his demand, but he also felt a mix of disappointment, frustration, and deep guilt.

The guilt stemmed from his lack of attentiveness to his sole family member, resulting in the current predicament. He held himself responsible for the circumstances.

"Ni-ki... Please stop calling me uncle, I'm your father...not uncle," he said wearily.

His voice lacked energy as Ni-ki sadly smiled in response.

"Do you really think you're my father? I just know you as my legal guardian who left me alone in Japan to come here and make a life for yourself. I understood everything! I tried my best to be a good son, to be understanding and responsible," Ni-ki expressed.

Tears filled his eyes without any disguising glassiness, his voice grew louder with each passing moment, and his heart constricted in his chest as he finally released years of pent-up frustration.

His heart squeezed in his chest as he poured out his emotions.

" When I used to fall ill every rainy season, where were you? When I was winning basketball games, where were you? When I received a perfect score on my maths test for the first time, where were you? Were you with me? Were you fond of me? Did you fully understand it? Do you really even know me? "