chapter 1: First Day Back

( A.N Keefe is back because I said so. And hes talking again but that flashback will come eventually)

" You actually look decent for once," Vertina remarked, " But you should do something to cover up those dark circles, and maybe add some gold eyeliner and lip gloss.

Sophie rolled her eyes at the mirror, as she pinned on her cape, and smoothed her green level four, uniform.

Sophie had been up all night worring about what Mr. Forkle had said, or rather what he hadn't said. But since Foxfire was officially back in session since the last battle, Sophie could just pester him there until she got an answer. And if that didn't work, Keefe probably had a couple of leftover pranks from the days when Councilor Alina was the principal.

Well, that is if he decides to come. They had been able to drag him back to the lost cities. And while Keefe had started talking again, who knew if he would decide to come. All the emotions might overwhelm him, and he was still terrified about the other ability his mom had forced on him. But then again he had been working on controlling it with Grady. And according to her adoptive father, he was getting better at it.

She sighed, trying to push those thoughts back into the box in her mind. She gave Iggy a goodbye pat, and carefully made her way down the stairs. She went slowly since Elwin had instructed her to be careful so she wouldn't reopen her wounds. She was still taking elixirs for her injuries from the final battle, and she didn't need to go to the health center on the first day back. Though with her luck she probably would.

"Hey Kiddo, ready for your first day back," Grady said from his place at the table.

" Yeah, it'll be nice to be back," Sophie was grateful they weren't bringing up anything neverseen or black swan related. They'd been asking if she was okay for months after the battle, but Sophie really couldn't blame them she'd pretty much wrapped herself in a blanket cocoon for a week after the battle.

Grady smiled," Just don't do something to warrant a return to the healing center, I'd like to not get a call from Elwen."

" Well I hope we don't," Edaline said, carrying a tray of fresh baked blitzenberry berry muffins, and Sophie quickly grabbed one. Nothing could beat Edaline's cooking.
Grady laughed and grabbed one as well. " I'm telling you Eda, your the best cook in the lost cities." He licked the crumbs off his lips. Edaline shook her head as the two raided the muffin tray.

" Slow down you two, You're going to choke," Edaline said as two gnomes came rushing in, saying that Verdi again.

" That's the third time this week," Grady mumbled under his breath," Anyway, have a good day at school Kiddo I gotta make sure Verdi doesn't eat any other animals." Grady squeezed her in a tight hug and kissed the top of her head before running off."

" You probably should get going, it almost time for Orientation to start," Edaline said, squeezing her in a hug to rival Grady's. Sophie laughed hugging her back. " Bye Mom, see you tonight." Sofie made it to the leapmaster, though it felt weird without Sandor. He was still recovering in Gildingham from his injuries from the final battle. At least he was still alive his injuries had been so bad they thought he wouldn't make it.

She shouted "FoxFire" before leaping away in the beam of light

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sophie made it just as Magnate Leto began his speech welcoming the prodigies to another amazing year at Foxfire. Sophie mostly tuned him out, she'd already listened to enough of his speeches throughout the years.

" Hey Foster," a familiar voice said from behind her. When she turned around she met his ice blue eyes, mischievous smirk, and of course 'The Hair' as he liked everyone to call his apparently trademarked hair. How he knew what a trademark was she had no clue.