Chapter 14: Golden

(Keefes POV)

   He sat hunched over his desk, drawing away. The Cresent moon high in the distance. He was trying to make a gift for Sophie, plus it kept his mind off the embarrassing kiss.

He hadn't drawn much since the war. There hadn't been much inspiration, only enough for a couple of doodles here and there. Still, he knew they always cheered Sophie up.
He didn't really know what happened to make Sophie go on bed rest, but he had a pretty good idea of what happened.

He hoped those would make her feel better. He was almost finished, too. He was trying to make it pocket-sized. That way, she could have it with her at all times, and hopefully, it would help ground her.

He carefully added the last of the highlights. It was a picture of the sunset. Thankfully, he had a photographic memory.

He carefully put the drawing in a small box. It was about the size of his palm. He then wrapped it in his favorite color.

                           Gold

Whenever he saw it, his mind always went to Sophie and her perfect brown eyes. They were so warm and inviting, especially when she was laughing, and they would crinkle up slightly at the edges. He smiled as the image filled his mind.

That's why he told jokes. He loved it when she laughed. Her eyes always seemed to sparkle when she did.

He set the gift on his side table, so it was ready to give to her tomorrow.

                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

   Keefe rushed down the stairs of Everglen. He knew he'd eventually have to go back home, but for now, the Vackers were more than happy to have him.

Of course, Fits and Biana were still getting ready, but he had to get to school early enough to see Sophie. That way, she wouldn't be able to avoid him. Though it would probably be awkward considering the well... yeah. But hey, they could just brush that under the rug, right?

Not that he wanted to. He wished that they'd never got interrupted, but the universe just wasn't on his side. Still, he couldn't help but wonder what could've been.

What if they had kissed?

Wait, no, there's no point in thinking about the what-ifs. He sighed before calling out Foxfire.

The glass pyramid of Foxfire came into view. School, Keefe thought, " I can't believe came here early, What have I become," Keefe said to himself.

He walked through Foxfires' courtyard, which they had added after the war, and past the obsidian statue of a black swan. He had to admit, forkle was a whole new level of petty when it came to the council.

He finally made it to the doors, though it didn't take that long since most students arrived in the middle of the courtyard rather than at the beginning.

You know, maybe since I'm already here, I can just go on into Forklenators office. Give him a little surprise✨️, Keefe thought.