Chapter 8: Maybe It Wasnt a Bad Thing

" I can't believe I got lunch detention because of you," Sophie said crossing her glitter-covered arms.

" You willingly followed me down that hallway," Keefe replied also covered in glitter. Okay maybe she had but only because she was worried, it had been a week since her talk with Fitz and she was worried about Keefe. But anytime she asked about his dad he would just change the topic and start joking around again. The fight must have been a bad one.

" Keefe, are you okay," She couldn't help but ask.

Keefe looked up at her his eyes seemed hollow almost, not the fun, energetic, yet calm and steady gaze she was used to. They seemed as if the nice summer breeze that his ice-blue eyes usually held had gone away and a cold winter storm had taken up the space.
" I'm fine Foster, I'm always fine, why would you even ask that?"

"Keefe, I can tell somethings wrong," Sophie reached out but he pulled away.

" Can we not talk about this, Sophie." Her name felt so foreign when he said it. He sounded so unlike Keefe.

" Okay, I'm sorry," Sophie said moving away from him. Now she definitely knew that fight was more than just a fight.

A couple of awkward minutes of silence passed before the mentor watching detention arrived. He simply sat at the desk and told them to do their homework. That was new, but it made sense when you looked at the mentor. He had pointy ears, so he was clearly old, and dark circles under his Sapphire blue eyes. She looked back over at Keefe and found that he was drawing behind his stacks of textbooks.

She started on her homework even though it wasn't due for another week she might as well get it out of the way. That way she could put the work for the Blackswan swan first.
But after a couple of minutes that felt like centuries, she couldn't think of anything to put on the stupid essay, all her thoughts kept going back to Keefe. She desperately wanted to know what was going on between him and his dad, she didn't want him to suffer alone. But he didn't want to tell her, how was she supposed to help if he wouldn't tell her

Unless... she read his mind, but that was against the law. On the other hand, when had she ever followed the law before?

But this was Keefe, she never wanted to break his trust like that.
"Ugh" she groaned in frustration, why was this so hard? Why couldn't the Blackswan have given her an ability that allowed her to know the answer to every problem? She wished someone would just tell her what to do, it would make everything so much easier. But, hey when was her life ever easy? Suddenly she heard Keefe sigh,

" Foster, what are you so stressed about," Keefe said pinching the bridge of his nose.

Sophie couldn't believe she forgot Keefe could feel her emotions. " Oh Keefe, I'm sorry, maybe I should move to another seat," she started gathering her stuff.

Keefe quickly grabbed her wrist,
" No, stay I'm fine Foster," He smiled at her.

She felt like she shouldn't listen, that she should ignore him and pry his hand off her wrist and go sit on the opposite side of the room so she wouldn't hurt him. And she almost did, almost, but then she looked into his eyes and she felt herself get dragged into them and if she looked close she could see a break in the cold storm that haunted them. She could see the warmth she had grown accustomed to, the warmth she missed. And when she looked into his eyes she knew she couldn't say no to him.
And maybe that meant Biana was right, maybe she liked Keefe. And maybe just maybe he liked her.

But maybe that wasn't a bad thing.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
Sorry that was so short, The next chapters from Keefe P.O.V. thats why it's shorter than usual.