Chapter 10: He Always Knew

"SOPHIE ELIZABETH FOSTER" was the first thing Sophie heard when she got back from school.

 you know at first Sophie thought that maybe detention wasn't a bad thing. Clearly, she was wrong.

" You and That Boy set of glitter bombs in FoxFire!" Grady scolded.
" I would like to think that after the neverseen were defeated there would be no more detention."

" Now Grady I'm sure Sophei has a perfectly good explanation as to why she got detention," Edaline said calmly but it was clear both of them were a little angry.

" Technically, I never set off the glitter bombs, also it was more of a wrong place wrong time situation," Sophie answered, and it was the mentor that set off the bombs.

" So it is That Boy's fault I knew it was bad for you to hang out with him. Edaline I knew I was right about him, I mean just look at how he's corrupted our sweet daughter," Grady ranted, while Edaline just looked bored as if she'd heard this argument thousands of times before.

" It wasn't Keefe's fault!" Sophie argued, " The Mentor that gave us detention set off the glitter bombs."

" Is that what he told you to say, so he wouldn't get in trouble!" Grady replied.

Edaline shook her head before snapping her fingers, and just like that Grady tied up with a rope that Edaline had conjured. " For goodness sake, Grady, you're giving The boy too much credit."

Sophie hoped that if she stayed quiet and didn't move a muscle Edaline would forget about her and focus all her attention on scolding Grady, but of course that plan failed.

" And when do you think you're going, young lady," Edaline raised an eyebrow.

"Nowhere," Sophie sighed, she might as well admit defeat if she didn't want to end up like Grady.

" That's right, you're going nowhere but school, and black swan meetings for a week. Now go to your room I'll 
call you when dinner is ready, and no you are not eating in your room," Edaline pointed to the house.

At least it was only a week Sophie thought as she made her way to her room. But at least this gave her time to think about what the heck her heart wanted.

She did get butterflies anytime she and Keefe touched, or when Keefe teased or Complemented her. And she liked being around him.

And the more she thought about it, the more she remembered all the memories the two shared. She remembered how he comforted her about being unmatchable, all the times he volunteered to go with her on missions where they could easily die. The way he held her hand when they reset her abilities. He had truly been there for her through everything.

Keefe had always found a way to make her laugh, he always knew when she needed a reason to smile. He was so kind and caring despite the people who raised him. He knew when she was freaking out and how to calm her down. And yeah maybe it was because he was an empath, but he cared enough to help calm her down, or make her laugh, or smile.

When she ran away from the lost cities and joined the Blackswan he came with her and stayed with her even after he found out about his mom.

He came with her when she had to ride Silveny to get her abilities reset, and protected her when they were ambushed.

He never hesitated to do whatever it took to protect her, even if that meant breaking her heart and running away like an idiot. But she had seen how much it had hurt him. She remembered how much she had missed him, how much she had wished she could see him again after he ran. How glad she was when she found him safe and sound. She remembered so many things, and that's what made her so sure of him, so sure she could trust him. So sure that she liked him more than a friend.

But what of it ended like it did with Fitz? Sure they talked it out but that was after months of awkwardness and avoiding each other. And the only reason they even talked it out was because they had to save their cognate bond. Her and Keefe didn't have anything that would force the two of them to talk. Just look at their past coping mechanisms to tragic events.

If she lost Keefe as a friend because of this, she would never forgive herself. She couldn't lose him, he meant too much to her. His friendship was the most valuable thing she had.

Then again Keefe was nothing like Fitz, he was kind, caring, artistic, funny, and he was amazing. And Biana had said she thought Keefe liked her. So maybe she was right, it was Biana, she wasn't wrong about things like this very often. 
So maybe she liked Keefe.

No, she did like Keefe no question about it.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

Hey guys, sorry this was short, it was more of a chapter to help establish that Sophie has a crush on Keefe, and because my heart needed more Gradaline, and Ruewen family moments.

Thanks for reading,
Klmbookworm 📚