Chapter 11: A Glimpse of the Past

Dedicated to DaggerNamedHope
for always voting and commenting on chapters and means a lot to me.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

"NO! NO! Never do that again!"

" It's what you told me to!"

" No, it isn't. You bring it the other way, and then you bring it together and pin it in the back! It's not that hard."

Sophie was resisting the urge to throw the dumb mirror out the window. She had asked Vertina to help her style her hair, and let's just say she was never asking again. Sophie had been yelled at for a whole 15 minutes, on hair alone. Nevertheless, she did what Vertina told her to do. It didn't look that bad. It was two braids on either side of her head that met at the back for a half-up half-down style.

" Good, see, was it that hard? Now pull out the front pieces, and hair is done," Vertina ordered.

" Okay, now we're done, right?" Sophie asked silently, pleading that they were.

" Well, you should cover the dark circles under your eyes. They look like bruises, and then maybe a touch of mascara and lip gloss," Vertina answered, and Sophie regretted asking her for help. It was just a dumb black-swan meeting. It's not like she had to do this. But then again, she didn't want to get slapped by Biana for looking horrendous, and you know maybe one other reason.

"Fine, I'll cover the dark circles, but that's it," She decided she might as well. What's the harm? After she was finished, she quickly got changed into a muted-red tunic and leggings.
There was a reason for the color that everyone said looked best in besides that the tunic was comfy, and it was her favorite, that's it. She thought while pinning her cape around her.

She quickly grabbed her bag with all her papers and notes in it and made her way to her door. When she opened it, she half expected to be met with the gray muscles of her Bodyguard Sandor. Too bad he was still recovering. At the final battle, he had gotten pretty beat up with two broken legs, 6 shattered ribs, and a broken wrist. And that's only the broken bones, no one that he would be okay, not even Elwen. The image of her broken bodyguard made its way to the front of her mind, bringing back the horrible memories with it.

The images made her throat tighten and her eyes water, and it felt like the air was getting thicker and harder to breathe, she tried to take a deep breath, but it felt like breathing through a straw. All the blood and pain-filled screams. Was it getting hot in here? Someone falling to the ground right next to her, dead. She sank to the floor. It felt like her cape was strangling her.

A neverseen member being hit with a dagger she'd thrown, their hood falling to reveal a kid that couldn't have been much older than 23. Was the room spinning? No, it was getting smaller.

" Sophie you're going to be late for the meeting," A familiar voice called, but she couldn't place it, she held her hand against her chest, trying to draw in any air she could.

" Sophie, are you ready," someone called, but their voice kept blending with the screams.

" SOPHIE!" Strong arms wrapped around her, rubbing circles on her back. " It's okay, Kiddo, I'm here," the voice soothed.

" Edaline, I think we're going to need Elwin!"

" On it," someone replied.

After a couple of minutes, Sophie heard a door burst open, " She's up here!" Someone yelled, but Sophie just gripped the person's shirt, as images of the people she had to inflict on, and the way they twitched and foamed at the mouth. She was a monster. How could she do that to someone?