Chapter 18: Back To Reality

***Freen's POV***

"Is it okay?" Becky asked, her concern palpable. A stray dog darted across the street in front of us, narrowly avoiding a passing car.

"Yeah, fortunately the car missed it," I assured her.

"That was too close," we heard the driver remark as they drove past.

We resumed our journey on our scooters, heading back to the rental shop to return them. The boat awaiting us at the shore would ferry us back to our private island. Hurriedly, we collected our stuffs from the hotel and boarded the boat.

As Irene and Becky gazed blankly at the stars, I sensed a tinge of worry in their expressions. The boat hummed with the noise of its engine. I wanted to ask what's wrong, but I had promised Becky not to think about it for now, despite knowing that it weighed on her more than she let on.

"What's are you thinking?" I asked Becky, studying her closely. She returned my gaze, her expression tinged with suspicion.

"You want to know everything, don't you?" she teased. I smiled and nodded.

"I have been thinking about you a lot for a while now. You're in every corner of my brain lately." she confessed, playfully adding a wink.

"I guess you were just too drawn to my charisma. Sounds like you've fallen in love harder than I have," I said, letting out a soft laugh.

"Oh, I love the confidence. Why don't you tell me what kind of witchcraft you used on me?" she asked.

"I don't need any witchcraft to make you fall in love with me. The Creator was thinking about me when He made you. You were supposed to fall in love with me no matter what happens," I answered teasingly.

"I wonder if there are ants on this boat because it's getting a little bit sweet here," Irene intruded, and the boat ride was filled with laughter before we reached our destination.

As the clock struck past midnight, we found ourselves on our island's shores. Strolling slowly towards the house, we inhaled the crisp air, serenaded by the cricket's symphony. The path was illuminated by the moon and stars, this night marking our final night here before our return to Thailand tomorrow afternoon.

"Hey, there's not much stars on that part of the sky." I said pointing towards the sky as I reached out for Becky's hands.

"Yeah, the clouds are blocking them," she said.

"I don't think so. Maybe someone took 'em," I paused, turning to Becky, "and put 'em in your eyes," I teased, giving her a smile. She just smiled back, probably tired of our banter.

"Can you two get a room, please?" Irene joked sarcastically

"We'll head to ours soon," I said confidently, though I felt Becky's gaze on me.

"You want me to sleep in your room, right?" Becky asked, seeking confirmation.

"Don't you want to?" I replied.

Becky and I went upstairs to my room, while Irene headed to hers. Becky reminded Irene not to check her phone until tomorrow, and we said good night.

I gently shut the door behind me and turned around to see Becky gazing out the window. I walked closer to her and wrapped my arms around her from behind, leaning my chin on her shoulder. The gentle wind caressed her hair as the echo of the waves filled the silence in my room. I wondered what she was looking at so intently. Was it the stars that captivated her? Was it the ocean that calmed her? I wanted to ask, but I felt like she didn't want to talk about it. Her faint smile and the worry in her eyes spoke the words she couldn't say, and I was glad I could understand them.