Chapter 20: The Parents

***Becky's POV***

She has been a fortress to me my entire life. She has always been there through the best and toughest times. She has always been strong for me and helps fight my battles, even if at times she's quietly fighting her own battles too. She walks like a soldier, and her aura is so strong that it's intimidating to sit next to her. But when she speaks to me, even with toughness noticeable in her words, I can feel the love she tries to hide behind those lines. My mom, she's good at hiding her soft side from everybody. She acts too strongly because she does not want to show her vulnerable side. But the truth is, she is a kind, soft, and loving woman.

She cried several nights when my dad left. She grieved the love she had to give up to find peace in her mind. I rarely see tears fall from her eyes, but I know they fall quite frequently. I know that she is not as tough as she wants me to see her, and that's why I have a lot of respect for her. My mom loved me in the best way she knew how. She gave me everything I could ever ask for. She did her best for me. She has always been and will always be someone I look up to.

I tried dialing my mom's number to talk to her, but she is not answering. So I asked Mike to drive to Freen's house just in case my mother is already there and causing a fiasco. I know she's doing this out of love, but causing a scene will not really help the situation. It might even make things worse if the paparazzi find Freen's house because of my mom. I am trying to protect Freen's privacy and safety, and I will not let my mother ruin that.

I sent a message to Freen informing her that my mom threatened to go to her house, but she has not responded yet. I tried calling her number, but she is not answering. I'm really worried. I want to be able to make my mom understand the love I have for Freen in a way that will not disrespect her, in a way that acknowledges her love for me and her reasons for taking those actions.

The pounding of my heart in my chest has become extremely loud that I had to put my hand on my chest, close my eyes, and whisper in my head that it's going to be okay. Freen and I knew that we had to meet our parents sooner or later, but I sure hoped it would be later. We had just come back from our flight, and honestly, we wanted to rest first before dealing with this, but I guess life had a different plan.

It didn't take long before I found myself in front of Freen's house, standing at the front gate, staring at the doorbell, hesitating on whether I should press it or not. My mom's car was parked in front of their house, indicating that she was already inside. I'm scared of facing the consequences of my decisions. I'm scared of what my mom will say to Freen and her family, and I'm absolutely scared of what Freen's family will say about me. I remember Freen's mom before. She had always been kind and sweet to me until the accident. I knew she hated me for putting her daughter's life in danger. The last time we saw each other was when Freen collapsed, and I got slapped really hard in the face that night. Her mom cried almost instantaneously when she saw me, and I understood her. She trusted me a lot. She trusted that I would take good care of her daughter, but the young me was just too stupid and emotional.

I broke her mother's trust, and now here I am in front of her house, hoping to gain it back. But my mom is inside, probably spewing hateful words to Freen. This is a mess we're in, but there's no better way to deal with it than to face it head-on, and the best time to do it is now.

I felt as if my hands became heavy when I tried to lift them to reach for the doorbell. My fingers were shaking as I pushed the button, and I breathed heavily, putting my hands in my pockets, trying to maintain my composure. The pounding in my chest grew even stronger when I heard footsteps from the house approaching closer to the gate. Is it Freen? Is it her mom? Is it her dad? Who will open that gate?