(XI) Ghosting On The Coast

"Pass the salad," Ashton said from the prominent end corner of the long dinner table. Michael and Luke both reached for the clear bowl of lettuce and dressing directly between the two. Somehow, passing Ashton the salad turned into a rivalry and both boys lunged over their food to reach the crystal clear bowl of lettuce. Michael was victorious, gripping the edge before Luke could, which earned Michael a cheeky grin as he passed Ash the salad.

"I always win, Hemmings," Michael propped himself, digging his fork into his potatoes.

"Oh fuck off, Mike," Luke flipped him off, rolling his eyes and batting his lashes.

"Now kids," Ashton joined in, serving himself some salad with a fork, "could we at least attempt proper table manners?" He asked, arching an eyebrow their direction.

For some odd reason (really Ashton's idea), the guys had decided to have a dinner together. As in the boys, this meant Luke, Ash and Michael. Calum was locked in the room, consuming anything instead of food.

Luke had some of his shirley and then dropped his fork over the food, signalling he was done. He crossed his arms and looked at the two. "What time are we leaving for Nam's party?" Asked Luke.

"Uhm... I think it's appropriate to show up around eight?" Ashton responded, finishing off his food as well.

"Well, it's almost seven, and Nam lives at the North Coast so... we should go and get ready," the blonde pulled back his chair, screeching the legs on the tiles. The boys lived on the south part of the coast, which was a measly twenty minute ride from the north coast at the border of town, but they still had to wash well and proper and dress up. They wouldn't wanna take on Namiko Huey's fury.

"Yeah," Michael agreed. He too stood up, gathering up the plates and clearing the table. Together they cleared up the whole table, setting the plates in the dishwasher.

Luke left the two in the kitchen so he could run up to his room. When he opened the door, his eyes seemed to search for Calum like a habit. The black haired boy was sitting on the rim of the window. He had his legs crossed, a book in between hands. When Luke walked in, Calum didn't even make a move. He must have acknowledged Luke's presence because Luke dragged his feet pretty loud-like rocks.

"Hey," Luke said, standing in front of him. Things had been incredibly awkward between Luke and Calum as of lately. Mostly hard on Luke, while Calum seemed completely serene.

Calum completely ignored the remark, his eyes glued on the black piece of literature in front of him.

Luke wasn't expecting much so he just walked into the washroom and carried on to the washroom. He then had a long shower.

...

Luke was the first to be ready. Then Michael, Ash, and lastly Calum-late of course. Now all four of the boys were on the road, late for the party because of Calum. Luke was sitting in front of the wheel of Michael's car, driving since he was the designated driver for the day. That's because there was a rare chance of him drinking at all. Michael was beside him on the passenger seat, arms crossed over the rim of the window, looking outside to the light city under the night. He was the only one with an open window, a breeze running through his faded purple locks. Ashton and Calum were in the back. Ash was on his phone, making all kinds of faces to whatever it was he was doing on his phone.

Luke couldn't help it! His eyes just kept wandering to the rear view mirror, which reflected a statue of a Calum. He was sitting in silence, straight without a move. Shadows were covering Calum's face just a bit above the cheek, so it was impossible to see what Calum's big brown eyes were doing.

It took the boys a bit of hustling but eventually, they managed to find the house. Luke's mind was a little rusty of where Nami lived. But with a bit of concentration and wanderlust, he managed to find out where the house was. Also, because there was only one beach house crowded by packs of teenager, loud music and commotion.