(I) Cruel New World

The blonde boy continued stacking sheets of paper and stapling them together. They were the final reports of his classmates, so granted he was interested in peeking and seeing how they were doing. It might have been a lame way for Luke to end his last day of high school, but he was doing a favour to Mrs. Greenway, his all time favourite teacher since year 9.

"So how do you plan to spend the summer, Luke?" The short, blonde teacher asked him, lowering her eye lenses to rest on the bridge of her nose, just above her freckles.

"I'm going away," he responded vaguely.

"Where?" She asked.

"Oh, not far." He managed to stack the last of the reports together and he was pretty much done. "Jhenis Beach. It's were I grew up."

"Visiting family, I see?"

He shook his head.

"Ohhh...." she smirked. "Is it for a girl than?"

Luke blushed, shaking his head again. "A boy actually," he peeked a smile.

"Oh," she nodded and slid her glasses back up her nose. "Adorable nonetheless." She continued typing on her computer.

Before Luke could say anything else, the dismissal bell rung; the last school bell he'd probably hear.

Luke had already decided where he was going for university. He had decided to go to Jhenis U for journalism. Journalism was something he thought he'd enjoy doing. Maybe even write books at some point.

He hadn't really discussed it with Calum. He and Calum had been contacting each other through the net' all year long. Sometimes they'd have little arguments, sometimes Calum wouldn't answer the phone. But that didn't matter now, because now they could be together. Luke had this idea he and Calum could go to Jhenis and live there, but he didn't know how Calum would react.

"Crap," Luke shot up. He had to leave as soon as possible since he had to drive all the way to Jhenis and get there before the welcome back party he was being thrown—which was just Mike's excuse to throw a party and get super wasted to commence the summer. This was the summer of senior year, and from now on everything would change.

Luke didn't take time for year book signing or final farewells, he wanted to leave Sydney as soon as possible and so he ran to the school parking lot and climbed into his Chevy, igniting the engine and taking off home.

When he got to his house, he was relieved no one was there. His mum and step dad had gone on a vacation. His mum was visiting family in the countryside and introducing her new husband to the rest of the family.

He headed straight for his room. He opened his closet and yanked his suit cases from the top shelf. He'd packed heavily this time. He sat the luggage down on his bed to sort things out and double check he had everything.

That's when Cara walked in. She had her hair put into tight cornrows. She wore a black sports bra under a black cardigan. Her denim jeans were ripped all the way from her thighs down to her ankles. Luke had grown quite fond of his new step sister, unlike her aggravating brother Dany. Somehow Cara and Luke had grown really close over the pat year.

"Where ya off to?" She asked in a slow motion, swaying her hands back and forth. Luke noticed many tight chokers on her throat.

"Going to Jhenis now."

"Oh right," she sighed.

"Why didn't you go with my mom and your dad?" 

"Ew." She walked over to sit on Luke's bed and lay back. "I didn't wanna be stuck in a plane with my brother and dad. Besides there's nothing for me there."