9 flowers

Beep ... Beep ....Beep ... Beep

"So fucking stupid! This is ridiculous! My son almost lost his life over her!" My mom yelled.

"Don't blame her, mom," Naomi said.

"My son wouldn't even be in this predicament right now! Get her out of here! Right now! And stop letting her up here!"

"Mom!"

"SHUT UP! He was bleeding out from the head!"

"It's not her fault!"

"Naomi, you about to get slapped!"

I slowly started to wake up. I don't know how long I've been out. I look to the side and see that it's night time. Must have been out all day.

"What's all the yelling for...?" I said.

"Oh, baby! You're awake!" My mom said. She hurried over to give me a hug and a kiss. "Are you alright?"

"I'll be okay. What time is it?"

"9:45 pm...you've been out for two days,"

"Two days—ow!"

"That's okay, baby. I told that bitch to get lost,"

"Zuri? Why?"

"She's the one who got you involved in this,"

"It wasn't her fault though , mom. I was trynna save her,"

"You can't save someone who don't wanna be helped!"

"You don't even know what you're talking about. She's my friend and he pushed her to the ground and I stood up for her,"

"Was it worth being in a coma for two days? Huh?"

"Yes! Now go find her! Please?!" I demanded.

"I'll go find her..." Naomi said.

"Thank you..."

Naomi left out the room.

"I'm sorry, Duke. I was just so worried. She's been up here time and time again and each time I tell her to leave! I didn't even know you were talking to another woman,"

"She's just a friend, ma. The way you were talking to her was wrong,"

"I'm just being a mom,"

"It doesn't matter. She's going through a lot right now and I care about her a lot. We formed a good friendship and I don't want it to end because you're not thinking,"

"The girl has a boyfriend! Why do you wanna be involved in that?"

"Some reason why you still wanna be involved with dad!"

"Now, look—"

"No! He has done you wrong for years and you still allow him to come in a fuck shit up,"

"Now, you watch your tone with me, young man! I may not make the right choices all the time, but I am still your mother! I will not allow you to talk to me like that, do you understand me?"

"Yes..."

"He's the Director of Aviation at the airport, you know that, right?"

"Yeah..."

"And I needed some help..."

"With what?"

"I have bone cancer,"

"AND YOU JUST DECIDED TO TELL ME?!" I yelled.

"Lower your voice! I need him to help with the surgery bill"

"Mom...how long have you had it?"

"A few months,"

"Are you—"

"I found her," Naomi said.

There she was, standing at the door looking nervous. She looked scared and confused. My mom got off the bed and walked to the door. She walked out of the room and didn't return. Naomi followed behind her and left us to alone.

"Hey..." she said.

"Hey..."

"Your mom is...something,"

"I know. I'm sorry,"

"How are you doing?"

"My headache still didn't go away, sadly,"

"Oh..."

"Come and sit down,"

She came over to my bed and laid down next to me. She smelled like vanilla with a hint of cocoa. She always smells good. It was quiet for a while and all you heard was the monitor. She laid on me and my arm wrapped around her body. She bought me so much ease and peace.

"Is Justin okay?"

"He's fine. His swelling went down a little bit, but he is okay. You're the one that got the most hit,"

"I hit my head on the floor too hard,"

"You got a piece of glass in your head and they had to remove it. Your head was leaking. It was bad, Duke. I thought you were gonna die..."

"I'm fine, now. Well...not really,"

"Why?"

"My mom just told me she had bone cancer and she's had it for months now,"

"Oh my God! I am so sorry to hear that! That's horrible!"

"She said she needed my dad for help with the medical bills and shit. Insurance isn't enough to cover it I guess. I am stressed the fuck out right now,"

"I'll be here with you all the way,"

"I appreciate it.

The rest of our time together was quiet. Just how I like it.