𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

A/N: By the way, Freya has some trauma/bad memories that'll be explored in later chapters. She has some sad moments here, so just know it's from her past <3

"Hiccup, can I show him how it works?" Fishlegs asked, leaning the artefact on two crossed daggers.

Hiccup rolled his eyes with a smile. "Yes, yes, go on."

Vincent leaned forward with interest. The supposed 'Dragon Eye' was old, very old, with small chips broken off, rusty hinges and moss growing on it.

The sides were covered in ruins- and they could apparently turn, as Fishlegs demonstrated.

The head facing the wall was shaped as a dragon, with ruby eyes. It looked powerful.

The back part had a special lens in, where the dragons shined their fire through as Fishlegs asked.

"It shows all the different classes, and specific dragons, with notes and old runes!" Fishlegs explained.

"It's helped us before, with finding different dragons' location and special skills. But it would be very bad if the hunters got a hold of it."

"It has different gems inside for the different lenses, and each dragon fire shows different things."

" We collect these dragon eye lenses." Fishlegs popped one out. "They're scattered across the archipelago, in caves and on old ships."

"Each one holds special information. We found two on Lycanwing island." Fishlegs said, looking at Vincent nervously.

Vincent held out his hand for the dragon eye lens, and upon receiving it, held it up to his eyes to inspect. He could see the grime collecting on it, it looked so old.

"Huh. So that's what those were. I wondered about that when I came across them."

Fishlegs nodded, taking back the lens. He put a specific one in, angled the Dragon Eye correctly, and asked Toothless for fire.

He pointed up on the wall where grey light was displayed.

"This is all we found on the Lycanwing."

Vincent stiffened. He stared at the old runes, the picture of a man turned dragon. At the... not so pretty description of him, bile rose in his throat.

"That's all?" he asked quietly.

Hiccup frowned sadly. "Yeah. It doesn't say much about a cure. Gobber told us about the myth, gave some glory details."

Fishlegs nodded slowly. "He said the symptoms were sensitivity to sunlight, fidgety arms, a craving for fresh fish and an unquenchable thirst."

Vincent furrowed his brows. " Well, that explains some things, " he commented drily.

"Get this man some water then," Freya muttered.

Vincent snorted, but nodded. "I swear, I've been drinking 2 times as much water as anyone else these past years. It's so annoying! And the light? I thought I just had bad eyes but apparently it comes with the territory." He grumbled.

"Do you eat fish raw then? Like you don't cook it at all?" Freya asked curiously.

Vincent flushed, staring at the ground. He didn't exactly answer.

After a pause, the brunette spoke up again. "Is it good?"

Vincent muttered something unintelligible, then sighed, looking back up. "Yeah, it's okay. It makes hunting easier."

She smirked. "Hey, Tuff, we should try that some time."

Fishlegs grimaced. "Uhh, no, I wouldn't recommend that. You're not a Lycanwing. And Tuff definitely isn't and we are not going there again."

"Fine, killjoy." The girl grumbled, rolling her eyes.

Vincent snorted. He then looked at the Dragon Eye contemplatively. "That thing is really outdated. I could give you some info on actual Lycanwing traits."

Hiccup lit up at that. "If you want to, then that'd be amazing! It would really help." he said, smiling softly.

Vincent smiled back, but it didn't quite reach his dark amber eyes.

"Well, I noticed my diet increased too. Not a lot, but significantly. I'm pretty sure my senses are a bit heightened too, and I hate the sound of metal on metal. I'm very allergic to onions. But that could just be a Vincent thing." He said, snorting.

Fishlegs nodded along, writing everything down in his notebook.

"As a... Lycanwing, I have a terrible hunger, a sort of thirst for blood. If I don't hunt and eat it feels like someone's pouring acid down my throat. I'm quite nocturnal too." Vincent continued, narrowing his eyes in thought.

"Ummm... the dragon flies about as fast as a razorwing, and has many of the same features."

"Can you breathe fire?" Freya's dark green eyes looked up at him, curious. "I mean, when you're a dragon."

Vincent contemplated the question. "I can, yes. But I don't use it." He muttered with disgust.

"Oh."

He fiddled with his dagger. "That's, uh, that's all. Anything else I'm not sure if it's me or the... curse... and I try to, um, forget what happens when the moon comes out."

Snotlout huffed, chewing. Ruffnut and Tuffnut were staring at him in awe, mischief in their eyes. Fishlegs was still taking notes, and Hiccup was staring away in thought. Astrid sent him a sympathetic look.

Freya stared into space for a moment, gathering her thoughts. "Do we bring Gothi here or bring him to Gothi?"

"Who the hell is Gothi?" Vincent asked sharply.

"Didn't we tell you about her? Or is another symptom having bad memory?" Freya raised her eyebrow.

Hiccup elbowed her. "Be nice. Gothi is our healer back on Berk. She knows a lot, so maybe she'll know of a cure."

"Yeah, yeah." She shot a look at Hiccup.

Vincent looked up at Hiccup, eyes shining. " A cure? You think she knows a cure? '' Oh Thor, he looked like someone gave him a puppy. Or a pet dragon. Hiccup hesitated.

Freya looked away, avoiding the conversation, getting lost in her memories.

"Um, we're not sure of course." Hiccup glanced at Freya worriedly. "But she's our best chance."

"She's like super old. She's like a carrot with a stick she wacks people with." Snotlout laughed at his own description.

No one else did.

Freya took a shaky breath, shaking her head to clear her thoughts. "Very accurate description, Snotlout."

"I know, I'm a genius."

Vincent coughed, by natural cause, and groaned slightly. He wiped his face, staring at his hands with weary eyes.

Astrid patted his back. "You can go clean up now, I'm sure we're done with interrogations."

He smiled gratefully, getting up and nuzzling Temple. He walked out, not looking back, and made his way down to the sea.

Freya stood up, brushing some invisible dirt off herself. "Well, I'll go now too."

Hiccup raised his brow. "What, you tripped and fell into a mud pool while running from the screaming angry dragon last night?"

Freya chuckled, though the laugh didn't quite reach her eyes.

Hiccup nodded to her, soft eyes finding hers. "You can go rest. I'll write a letter to Gothi."

"Thanks." Freya walked out, standing outside for a moment, breathing shakily, then made her way to her hut.