𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕

a/n: sorry for not updating for a while, but there! please dont be a silent reader, and leave comments and vote! love yall <3

Freya's legs gave way and she collapsed on the ground, and closed her eyes, exhausted.

Vincent slammed his eyes open when Ryker closed the cell, taking a moment to collect himself. The last thing he remembered was Freya and him landing on the boat, when he was shot... Temple! His head shot up.

He was scrambling to sit up when he spotted the other rider.

She was leaning heavily against a wall, hair mussled, cheek bleeding, with bruises along her face. She looked like shit.

"F- Freya?" She opened her eyes to look at Vincent and smiled weakly. "How are you feeling?"

His brow furrowed; Him? He was feeling alright, but her? "I'm- I'm fine, what happened to you?"

"Not that much, just a bit of friendly torture from the bald guy and the fancy guy." Freya rested her head against the wall.

His eyes widened as he leaned back properly against the wooden wall, facing her. "Damn, you okay?" he rasped.

"Sure."

His eyes glinted with concern, that he tried to hide. He tilted his head. "Mhm. What happened back there? I don't remember... somehow." He sounded properly annoyed at that.

"Back where? Before we got here?" She asked, facing him.

"Yeah, I'm guessing you don't get caught regularly."

The brunette let out an empty chuckle. "Basically, you got shot by a dragon root arrow, then we got captured by Viggo and his buddies."

He grunted. Great. Kidnapped. "You guys are magnets for trouble, huh? I've only been here for, like, a week."

"I guess we are." She closed her eyes wearily.

He hummed, tossing her an old rag from his pocket to her before leaving her alone. "At least clean up your face. I can't have my image ruined by hanging out with you." He tried to smile weakly, but it came out as a grimace.

Freya caught it and started wiping her face, wincing each time it came into contact with a scar or a bruise.

A while later, Hansen left for a moment before coming back with a stale piece of bread and a mug of water. He placed it on the floor through the bars of the cell.

Vincent eyed the water greedily. His throat felt like it was tearing itself apart.

But he quickly glanced at Freya.

She gestured towards the food and water. "You can have it first, I know you have a different appetite. Besides, I'm not that hungry, and stale bread isn't exactly my favourite."

Vincent frowned at that. He dragged himself sitting towards the food, and picked up the bread. He tore it in half, throwing one piece at her.

"Here. You need to eat too."

Freya smiled softly, ripping off a bit and eating it. "Thanks."

Vincent just nodded, diminishing the bread in almost under a second. He picked up the mug, chugging down a little over half. He felt guilty about it, but he knew he'd die much quicker without it. He handed the rest over to Freya.

She took a small sip, then grimaced and gave it back to him. "I think I've had enough water for the day."

He looked at her weirdly, but realised quickly what she meant. He downed the pitiful rest.

Freya changed position so she was lying down on the cold floor, feeling the waves slowly lap against the boat. She closed her eyes.

Vincent slumped. He felt tired, but he had just slept, so he didn't need it. He tried scanning the tiny cell for any hints of... anything.

When that came back uninteresting, he tried his ears. He was terrified of what they were doing to Temple.

He closed his eyes, concentrating. The seagulls cawing. The low rumble he recognized as a Scauldron. Hunters thumping back and forth on the deck, and... there! The low growling he knew like the back of his hands.

He couldn't pinpoint where it came from. But, at least Temple was alive.

That thought made him relax more.

Freya opened her eyes and turned to Vincent. She spoke, her voice soft and hoarse. "Can you see if you can hear Thor? I mean, only if you want to."

Vincent smiled sympathetically. He took a deep breath. He was used to tuning in Temples growls, yelps and even his breathing, but Thor...

He listened. Besides Temple harsh breathing, a low... warble sounded?

That must've been Thor, as no human could make that sound.

He opened his eyes again, his reassuring amber gaze reaching Freya's. "He's there. He's alive."

She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, relieved. "Thank you."