Last Time

My heart feels like a hand is squeezing it beyond it can take. The knowing cries of my babies bounce around in my head, stain cheeks, sad faces, tight hugs and sweet kisses, the sensations and emotions still running through me.

Payton and Paige screams still ring in my ears. It's the first time I ever left them. I'm always around my babies, so I know it's going to be hell for Leon for the next few days or even weeks, not only from the babies reactions to me not being there, also me not being there for him.

Mates thrive on touch, so this will effect him. One thing I hope more than anything is that he can handle me not being there.

I still remember the look of heartbreak on his face as I drove away. It killed me, for the first time ever, I hate my job. For the first time, I regret joining the Marines.

As I drive down the highway to the nearest airport, memories haunt me. The stolen glances and kisses, from my mate, the cooing of my babies, the warmth of the pack.

I'll miss all of that.

I was used to the loneliness after what Sean did, to the emptiness to live. Not caring if I died, I even welcomed it at times. No I wasn't suicidal, I just welcomed death if it knocked on my door.

Now I thrive on the wholeness, the will to live, because now, I have reasons to life. My reasons are my mate and twins, along with the pack.

The car ride is silent, the only sound is of the crunch of the wheels on the assault.

"Lt. Johnson?" Monroe's voice penetrates my clouded mind.

"Yes, Monroe." I know the others are listening.

"If there is... " He starts, but I cut him off.

"There is nothing you can do, I knew this day would come. I just didn't know it would be this hard."

He doesn't respond, turning my head towards him, a grin spreads across my lips.

"Brother, I thank you though."

I watch as a smirk is placed on his lips. "You're welcome, my queen."

I groan. "That makes me feel like a chick."

My team chuckles as Monroe speaks. "Well you are the bottom. Never thought I'll see that day come, but I did."

"Do you honestly think I could dominant Leon?"

"No!" They laugh harder.

The smile never leaves my lips, letting them have their laugh. The air is now light instead of heavy with their laughter.

I start to loosen up, I can't be like I will never see my mate and babies again, because I will. I will, because I will fight tooth and nail to home home to them.

I need to do this, I'm a Marine, this is my life, but now I have another life. One that is more important than my Marine life.

That is why this is my last tour. It's time I start living my life. After this tour, I will promise everything in me that I will never leave Leon and the twins again. That this is the last time.

This is a promise to myself and my family. I'll never broke this promise. I need my family as much as they need me.

I'll hold this promise to my heart.

And never break it.

I'll come home.

I have too....