twenty one : all fun and pain

Salem's PoV:

I carried my plate full of food to the picnic table outside in the Stag's backyard. It was really lovely out here, especially with Mr. Stag's supposed gardening. Who knew he was a gardener?

I sat myself right next to Ami and began eating. We were eating silently when Ricky came from the grill, singing a Christmas song really really obnoxiously. Ami snickered as I leaned to the side, cringing but smiling at the same time.

Ami threw a grape at Ricky's face, signaling him to stop. He laughed loudly before he sat down across from Ami.

"So... You two..." I looked at the both of them, wiggling my eyebrows. Ami smacked my arm and Ricky chortled while he started to chew.

"Ami, it's fine," he took the napkin from under his plate and wiped his mouth with. He kissed his teeth before he explained.

"See, we were gonna tell you and Biddy-"

"Tell me what?" Biddy suddenly asked, appearing out of nowhere.

"Why Ami's here," Ricky said, while he scooted over to allow some space for Biddy sit on.

He took his seat across from me and held his hands together, waiting for Ricky to explain.

I started eating slowly, being self-conscious about the way I ate. I nibbled on the bread and looked down at it most of the time.

"Um, well you see, it started when Winter break had," Ricky started, picking food from his plate and chewing it, "I went to the arcade at the mall with my cousins from out of town who were visiting for holidays. Ami was there with her friends."

I elbowed Ami and gave her the "and-you-didn't-invite-me??" look. She rolled her eyes and she sighed, "It was girls' night out."

"So?" I asked, a little annoyed. My face furrowed and I poked my finger at her rib.

"Ah!" Ami screamed. She smacked the top of my head and I whimpered in surrender.

"Hmph."

She crossed her arms and scooted away from me. Aw come on, she's a sister to me.

I smiled simply and wrapped my arms around her abdomen, cooing "I'm sorry, I love you" while rubbing my head against her shoulder.

"Hey, back off!" Ricky joked, "She's my girl...friend..."

His voice slowly silenced as he realized what he was saying. He looked down, blushing like a fool, struggling to swallow the food he stuffed in his mouth.

I let go of Ami with my mouth half-gaping, half-smiling. Ami silently slammed her arms on the table, gripping the table cloth covering it. She looked surprised too.

"I'm your what, Ricky?" she asked. Ricky put his hands up in surrender, smiling silly.

"After all the many dates we've had," she stood up from her seat, leaning over the table, towards Ricky, "and you finally have the nerve to call me your girlfriend?"

"I..." Before Ricky could say a sentence, Ami gently took him by the ears and went in for a small kiss on his nose.

Ricky scrunched his nose, blushing and smiling like I've never seen before. Ami let go and left the table to get herself a drink. Before she left, she muttered something about finally having a boyfriend. I looked at Ricky who was clearly confused.

Biddy and I snickered to side, but stopped as soon as we made awkward eye contact. We still managed to make small smiles but we continued to silently eat.

"So, how about you guys?" Ricky asked awkwardly. Biddy and I looked up at each other, him with a full mouth, me with my lips on the rim of my cup, slowly letting a little amount of water into my mouth.