twenty seven: two birds, one stone

Biddy's PoV:

Darkness.

That's all I saw for some minutes until I opened eyes.

Then I saw the light.

Am I dying?

I can't die. Not now.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My vision started blurring into something. When I said I was seeing the light, I wasn't kidding. I was literally seeing the lights on the ceiling above me. I squinted uncomfortably, my eyes at twitching different places.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Thank God I wasn't dying. I was just in the hospital and that was my heart beating on the monitor.

My vision started clearing and I managed to twitch my fingers, my toes and slowly moving my hands, my feet.

Gravity started working again and I realized I was laying at a slight angle. I looked down my body and saw myself in the gown, under a couple of blankets. My arm left arm and my right leg were in casts, my leg hanging in the air.

I gave myself a mental groan, rolling my eyes. My head was pulled along and landed me looking at the person in the hospital bed next to me.

Salem.

I gasped but no air was being sucked in. I coughed and coughed. My side started hurting like a bitch.

Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep.

Okay. Now I'm dying.

From the corner of my eye, a nurse quickly entered the room. She approached me and softly laid a hand on my shoulder while she messed with the monitor.

I was gasping for air.

"You're not going to die, kid. Just breathe softly."

She took a step back with a clipboard in her hands and started writing.

"You broke a rib. It gets hard to breathe so just breathe easy. Through the nose, come on now."

And I did. I even managed to make a hello to nurse. She laughed a hello back and went back to writing.

"What happened to him?"

She looked over at Salem.

"Oh, he had a kidney problem. Fell down a flight of stairs and hit his head. Paramedics took him in. A kidney surgery."

I stared at Salem, my eyebrows furrowing in concern.

The nurse flipped a few papers and read something.

"Medication + concussion = potential comatose."

My heart sank. A coma?

How long? I can't move on without him! We–we have a child! He can't leave us.

She continued reading.

"But apparently, it says here, that that would be extremely rare. If he hit his head any harder, he would've been out for a week."

Mental sigh.

"He'll probably wake up today or tomorrow," closing her papers and clicking her pen, "His choice, I guess!"

She laughed and I smiled.

"Yeah... hopefully he'll wake up sooner..." I mumbled.

"Oh you know him?"

"Yeah. Um. He's my boyfriend."

"Woah wait what no way!" she gasped, taking a step back, her head switching between us both. "Y'all are cute little love birds! Two birds, one stone, I guess."