twenty five : lost it

Biddy's PoV:

After Phil made the new copy of the messed up photo, he took the pile of photos in my hand and tucked them into a folder. Sliding them across the counter, he greeted me a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I greeted him the same, said a goodbye, and slid the folder under my arm while I exited the shop.

I am so happy right now! Nothing can knock me down!

I stood outside the shop, breathing in the morning air. I got to my bike and took the folder from under my arm. I mean, I wouldn't hurt to look at them one last time.

I opened the envelope and was only able to get one photo out due to excitement. It was the previously-messed-up-now-fixed photo.

Salem had his head on my shoulder, smiling sweetly into the camera and cradling Perry in his arms. I was smiling too, my one arm around him fitting perfectly.

After staring at it for a few seconds, I slipped it in, accidentally creasing the corner of my head in the photo. I mumbled a curse because all I wanted was a photo as perfect as that one but something stupid like me creasing it HAD to happen.

It's fine. All that really mattered was that I had a perfect picture of the both of us that I can cherish forever.

I fit the photo back into the folder, tucking the folder under my arm as I mounted myself on my bike.

Before I peddled, I gave a quick knock on Phil's window and a wave then I was the down the street in no time.

I was riding pass houses, nodding at ones I thought were ideal for Salem and I to live in when we were older.
I gnawed on the inside of my cheek, sort of uplifted by the thoughts on having a life with him. a life with children. Oh goodness—

And then my pocket started vibrating. I balanced myself on my bike, steering the bar with one hand while I pulled my phone out to answer it. It was Carr.

"Hello—"

"Biddy. What are you doing? Where are you?"

"I'm on my bike, on the way home... Why?"

"Okay. Don't freak out—Please. Don't freak out—Salem. He's in the hospital right now."

My heart.

I breath hitched, "What? You've got to be joking me, Carr. Please stop playing me like that. I get that we're brothers but you can't do that—"

"I'm not, Biddy! I'm not... He fell down the stairs. Mom and Dad are with him right now. I'm sorry."

"Shit." I hissed. My eyes started tearing up. "Shit. Shit. Shit."

"Biddy, I can pick you up wherever you are now—"

"No, I'm heading to the hospital right now."

"But Biddy, it'll take you some time before you can get there."

"I'll take the short cut."

I hung up and slid my phone back into my pocket. I took the folder of photos and stuffed it in my mouth.

I started peddling faster, to the speed of my racing heart. It was hard for me to see since these tears turned my eyes into kaleidoscopes. I didn't care.

I knew the shortcut was near. My dad, Carr, and I would always take it when riding to the beach. It was basically a dirt road, with slopes on both sides that lead to the wilderness. We were always careful traveling through it because you'd go a long way if you slid off course.

My eyesight was still blurry so I went to wipe it with my one hand.

I went a little off balance and my bike went a way off the bikers' lane. And of course, a car was faster than a bike.

A car almost rear-ended me, honking loudly behind me. As my mouth opened to gasp, the folder flew out and behind me.

My heart. Again.

My arm swung to grab it, causing my bike to swerve again but towards the entrance of the shortcut. Except, I wasn't going into the shortcut. I was going to the side of it.

I tried braking but the gravel and dirt were kicking up and slipping under the wheels.

I didn't have time to turn. It wouldn't matter if I did. I would still fall.
And I did.

My bike flew off. It hit the slope and then I flew off. I rolled down the steep
dirt hill, my bike barely brushing by—almost crushing me.

I struggled on grabbing at roots and rocks but it didn't help. I turned on my back and accepted the expectation that I was going down.

What I didn't expect was the tree I was headed towards. I tried sliding my body the other way but that only caused my body to slide on its slide.

Shit.

And then it happened.

My body collided with its trunk. I heard a crack in my ribs, felt a sharp pain, and it got extremely hard for me to breathe.

I was so dizzy. Disoriented. Dark.

I heard my phone ring somewhere far away.

Where is my phone?

The ringing became louder. I heard subtle thuds too.

Where the hell is my phone?

All of a sudden, my  phone came out of nowhere hitting me square on the head, knocking me out.

Found it.

¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

lol kill me.