Vivid dreams

TW: internalized homophobia

 It has been two days since Travis was suspended. He let out a sigh, and sat down on his bed, spending a couple of minutes lost in thought. Travis despised most of the kids at school, but not Sal. Or did he? Well, he did hate Sal, but there was something about him that Travis found intriguing. Travis admired the way Sal's blue hair cascaded over his shoulder, always looking perfect without a hint of frizz. He never knew whether Sal dyed it or not. Travis hated how he found himself attracted to a boy, it was not right he thought to himself. Travis hated it so much that it made him frustrated. Travis couldn't be gay his dad would hate him even more and it was disgusting.

Travis was lying there, feeling bored and unoccupied until he noticed the bag of stuff Phil had given him. However, the mere idea of getting up made him reluctant. The thought of having to move all the muscles in his body to take even one step was agonizing. His tears fell down onto his chin and cheeks, seeping into the wounds left by his father. The teenager soon fell asleep."Mom," the boy said. The woman smiled at him. "I miss you, Mom," Travis said. "I miss you too, Travis," his mom replied, patting his head. They both sat on the stairs in silence until Travis spoke up. "Mom, what was your relationship with Dad?" Travis suddenly asked. His mother stopped smiling and sighed. "Travis, you're 17 now," she said. "Yes, why?" he replied, looking confused. She looked down and you could tell something was bothering her. Suddenly, her face got serious. "Travis, you have to promise not to freak out," the mother said in a serious tone. "Yes," he said silently "good," she said. "So you know what a cult is right?" Mom asked". "Yes why" Travis questioned. "This is where it gets crazy" the woman quacked. Travis looked at her as his eyes widened.

"You were born into a cult, Travis," Mother finally said. Travis sat there in silence, "You're joking, right, Mom?" he said with an uneasy laugh. "Travis, you have to believe me, okay?" the mom spoke. Travis stared at his mom, soulless. "Your dad is the leader," she muttered solemnly. Travis stared at her in disbelief. Suddenly, the woman started fading away. "Mom?" he said in a trembly voice. "You're fading," he said. "You have to leave this place, Travis," the Mom said in a dead voice. "W-What do you mean?" Travis said, stuttering over his words. "Leave," she said in a shaky voice. Travis was trembling with fear, his lips quivering in silence as he struggled to form words that refused to leave his throat. His mom disappeared in the thin air. Travis froze in terror, his heart pounding in his chest as he stood there, unable to move or speak. Not a single word escaped his lips as his mind raced with thoughts of what could happen next.

Travis opened his eyes, feeling disoriented and confused. As he tried to shake off the sleep, he realized he had just woken up from a strange dream. It was not the first time he had dreamt about old memories, but there was always a twist to it that made it different from the real event. He hated how his subconscious mind played tricks on him, making him relive moments that were long gone but still had the power to haunt him. Despite his discomfort, he couldn't help but wonder what the dream meant and if there was any hidden message that he was supposed to decipher. As he sat there lost in thought, the one thing that kept replaying in his mind over and over again was the comment his mother had made. He couldn't shake off the feeling that her words held a deeper meaning than what he had initially perceived. The more he thought about it, the more he realized that her words had struck a chord within him, causing him to ponder on his actions and decisions. Despite the passing of time, the memory of her words continued to linger in his mind, leaving a lasting impression on him. The room was filled with an eerie silence as he sat there, lost in thought. As he struggled to hold back his emotions, tears suddenly cascaded down his face, glistening in the soft light of the room.

As soon as he heard a loud knocking on his door, he quickly lifted his head and wiped away the tears that were streaming down his face with the sleeve of his black hoodie. The fabric felt damp and cold against his skin, but he didn't care. He was more concerned about hiding his emotions from whoever was on the other side of the door. He took a deep breath, trying to steady his voice, and walked towards the entrance. "Yes sir," he said knowing it was his father. "Get dressed we have people coming over soon" the man huffed. "Yes sir," he said then started getting dressed. He carefully selected a crisp white button-up shirt and paired it with a forest green sweater that had a formal vibe to it. Although the sweater was slightly baggy, it still looked sharp. He finished off his outfit with a pair of shorts that landed just above his knees. Despite his reluctance, he decided to wear his old neon green shoes which he loathed, but the neon colors had started fading and they didn't look as obnoxious as before. He brushed his hair noticing his roots coming in but he wanted to give his scalp a break. He walked down to see the couple and his father talking. "Travis may you please play the piano for these amazing people" Kenneth said with a fake grin on his face. "Of course," Travis said playing into the act. Travis started playing La Valse d'Amélie. "Wow, your son is so talented," the woman said in an amazed voice. Kenneth didn't reply. The couple stared in amazement. "Your life must be amazing Mr. Phelps," the man said. "Does he play for you every day?" the woman questioned. "Yes he does actually," Kenneth says. Then they start chatting to Kenneth about other things.

"Bye," Kenneth and Travis said. The couple waved and then entered their car before driving away. Kenneth went to his study. Travis walked up to his room and lay on the twin-sized mattress. Travis sat in his room, his mind wandering as he stared at the wall. Suddenly, he heard a knock on his door, and his heart jumped in his chest. Quickly, he grabbed the nearest book - a Bible - and pretended to be engrossed in it.

The door creaked open, and Travis's father, Kenneth, stepped inside. He spoke in a low, gruff voice, "Hey, you did a good job today, Travis." Travis looked up at him in surprise, his eyes widening as he struggled to process the unexpected words of praise.

Kenneth nodded at him and then walked out of the room, leaving Travis to contemplate what had just happened. For once, he felt loved and appreciated by his father, and a small smile played at the corners of his lips as he basked in the feeling.

As the night sky spread out before him, he finally decided to retire to his bed. Gazing up at the stars, he watched as they twinkled and illuminated the darkness above him. Their beauty was mesmerizing, and soon he felt himself drifting into a deep and peaceful sleep.

Words:1264