Chapter 10

My eyes began to tear up when the doctor asked me and Soda to sit down. He had a serious look on his face, and to me he looked kinda nervous or something. I was absolutely expecting the worse thing possible, I knew it was bad news.

"You're brother, he's in critical condition. We've done everything we can at the moment, and now all we can do is wait a few days and see if the surgery helped." The doctor explained.

"So, he's not dead?" I said before actually thinking it through.

"Oh my, no he's fine, he's just a little woosy from the medication." He replied with a slight smile at my response. I took a deep breath and rested my head on Soda's shoulder.

"Alright, is it okay if we go and see him?" Soda asked, sounding a bit like a little kid.

"Yes." He said, leaving us to talk amongst ourselves. I walked back over to Dally who was standing beside Ponyboy attempting to comfort him. I ran to Pony and gave him a huge hug and kissed him on the head.

"Everything's okay Pony." I said and he nodded. We stood there hugging until the nurse came and led us to Darry's room. When I walked into the room, my breath stopped. There was my brother, the strongest man I knew, lying in a hospital bed with tubes hooked up to him. I slowly walked towards him and he opened his eyes and smiled. "Darry!" I cried, running over and hugging him gently.

"Hey baby girl." He said softly stroking my hair. I looked up at him and saw his beautiful smile and almost forgot all about the fact that he was in the hospital. That is, until I noticed the tubing atatched to his arm. I let go of him and Soda and Pony gave him hugs aswell. I stood beside Dally who was unusually quiet.

"Whats wrong Dal?" I whispered to him.

"I've just never seen Darry look so... so fragile." He said, a look of pain on his face. I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed him tight.

"It's okay, he's okay." I said, giving him a kiss. He looked at me and smiled like I was his whole world.

"I know, 'cause you're here." He whispered and kissed me back. We stood there watching Soda and Pony talk to Darry about everything and anything, and when they asked us something we replied and smiled like everything was perfect. Except it wasn't.

***********

I was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for the gang before heading off to work. I decided I'd make pancakes and bacon, because the guys sure loved that. I had just finished cooking when Two-Bit and Steve came running in.

"Woah guys! What's the deal here?!" I asked, trying not to spill the food as they ran in.

"Oh, nothing. We're just hungry." Two-Bit said smiling like a goof. I laughed at him and shook my head as I walked into the livingroom. I plopped down on the couch just as Johnnycake and Pony came walking in the door.

"Hey Pony, hey Johnnycake. What's up?" I said with a huge smile on my face.

"Nothing much, you?" Johnny replied beofre plopping down on the chair.

"Just the same as always. Hey, there's some food in the kitchen if you guys want." I replied as they got up and headed to the kitchen. Just then, Dallas walked in and grabbed me and pulled me into a big hug. I looked up at him smiling, and pulled him in to give him a kiss. We were rudely interrupted by the phone ringing. I walked over and answered the phone.

"Hello?" I said, trying to get Dally to leave me alone.

"Hello, this is Doctor Smith." He said.

"Hey, what's going on?" I said, starting to freak out a little bit.

"We need you to come to the hospital right away, it's about your brother." He replied.

"Okay, I'll be there in a few minutes." I said, quickly hanging up the phone and running to grab some pants. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed a muffin, and was just about to run out the door when Dally stopped me.

"Beth! What's wrong?" He said, concern on his face and in his voice.

"It's Darry. I have to go to the hospital, now." I said, escaping his hold. I ran out of the house and jumped in the truck. I don't know how to drive, but it can't be all that hard. I was just about to go when Dallas jumped in the drivers seat, pushing me out of the way and drove us to the hospital. Once we got there, I ran full speed to the floor Darry was on. I stopped when I saw the doctor standing in the hall and I slowly walked over to him.

"Hello Bethany." He said as he walked over to me.

"HI." I said, a little out of breath.

"I'll get to the point. Your brother, he's not doing so well. We think you and your brothers had better come !n and say your goodbyes." He explained calmly.

"No! No! No! He-he can't die! He's all we have! This can't be happening!!!" I screamed. I started to throw stuff and kick and scream and cry until finally Dally grabbed me and held me close.

'A/N sorry this ones not that great guys. I was being rushed. Hopefully the next chapter turns out better. Comment and vote please!!!