157. I...I can't do this.

⚠️TW: implication/mention of human trafficking; implication/mention of SA ⚠️

NOVEMBER 10, 2019 — AVENGERS COMPOUND — BUCKY

After the impromptu meeting with Tony in the garage, Réa and I head to her suite; she lets out a heavy sigh when we step inside.

"You okay?" I ask.

She nods.

"Yeah. I'm okay." She inhales deeply. "I know these past few days haven't been eas—"

"Ré—"

"Just...just let me say this. Please," she says; I nod, and she continues. "I know these past few day haven't been easy. And I'm trying really hard to not listen to the negative thoughts...to not let them steal the little bit of peace I've managed to get back since I found out about this." She pauses. "Some moments, that's easy to do; others, it's really difficult. I know I'm acting unsure, and awkward, and insecure..."

"The other day at the barn, I told Macayla and Catelyn about having the nightmare. And how you—like always—knew exactly what to do, and what to say, and what I needed. I told them that I'm sure part of that comes from what you dealt with during your time in HYDRA's clutches...and that I think part of it is just you." She pauses again. "Now I don't think that...I know it. It's just part of who you are. Among many other things, you're caring, loyal, supportive, and kind...and I just want to thank you for sharing those parts—every part— of you with me. Thank you for being you...and for choosing me, over, and over, and over."

Her voice catches on the last word.

Her words cause my eyes to mist as everything I feel for the amazing, incredible, wonderful woman in front of me swells inside me. She steps closer to me, then again inhales deeply.

"Thank you for loving me as much as I love you," she says.

Overwhelmed with emotion, I close the miniscule distance between us, crushing my mouth to hers in a passionate kiss as I cup her face.

She gasps, and I take the opportunity to deepen the kiss. Her hands thread into my hair, and mine move from her face to glide over her body. I wrap my arms around her and pull her body flush against mine, my hardness pressing into her belly.

I lift her, and she wraps her legs around my waist; I carry her into the bedroom and lay her on the bed, following her down to the mattress. My lips leave her to trail kisses down her neck; she tilts her head to give me better access, and when I reach the curve where her neck and shoulder meet, I nip gently, pulling a quiet sigh from her.

Her hands slide under the hem of my shirt, gliding over my skin as she lifts the material, and fire blazes through me at the contact.

"God, Réa," I groan against her neck.

I pull back just enough to pull the shirt over my head, then toss it aside and return my lips to hers. My hands move beneath the material of her shirt, and it quickly joins mine on the floor. I places kisses down the column of her neck to her breasts, closing my mouth over her through the material of her bra.

She arches into me, then suddenly goes still. I lift my head; her ice blue eyes are hazy with desire but I also see something else in their depths.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry. I c-can't, I..." she trails off, voice wavering.

I roll off of her, before climbing off the bed. I grab my shirt and return to the bed.