97. One step forward....

APRIL 16, 2019 — AVENGERS COMPOUND — BUCKY

I've just finished getting dressed when there's a knock on my door. I make my way through my suite and open it, surprised to see Réa in the hall.

"Réa," I say, knowing my surprise is evident in my tone, and on my face.

"Bucky," she replies, then falls silent.

"Are you...is everything okay?" I ask.

"Oh, um, yeah. Sorry." She clears her throat. "I was wondering i-if, um...if y-you wanted to w-watch Fantastic Beasts with me?" she asks, shifting from foot to foot and wringing her hands.

"Yeah, Réa. I'd like that. Your room?"

She nods.

"Alright. Give me two minutes and I'll be there."

"Okay." She starts to turn away, but stops. "You, um...you can just come on in. You don't have to knock."

With that, she turns away and goes back to her room.

True to my word, two minutes later I follow her. I push the door open, and see her turn toward it. I step into her suite, and I realise just how much I've missed being here.

"I, um...before we watch the movie, I have this..." she lifts a small, wrapped package. "I got it for you. For your birthday. And then I..." she trails off. "Anyway, I know I'm a month and six days late giving it to you, and I'm sorry. I—"

"Thank you. And you don't need to apologize, Réa. You told me 'happy birthday'...that was enough."

'Anything I share with you is more than enough,' I think.

"How did you sneak this in here?" I ask.

"Oh...I asked Tony to have one of his drones drop it off. By the balcony door. I, um, I wanted to surprise you, so I drafted him for the cause."

I give her a small smile.

'God, she's cute.'

She steps toward me; when she's a few feet away, she holds the package out to me. I take it, being careful not to accidentally touch her hand, and unwrap it.

"The Hobbit...this is a first edition. I recognize the cover. It's like the one I had. Réa, this is too much. I can't—"

"Open it," she says quietly.

I open the cover, and inhale sharply as my mouth drops open.

My name is on the inside of the cover...in my handwriting.

'This is...how did she...this is amazing!'

"Oh, wow...Réa, how did you...?"

"I sent a lot of emails. Like...a lot," she replies. "Then, just to be sure, I had several document experts and graphologists verify the handwriting. That's why I'm late giving it to you...I just got it back yesterday." She pauses. "I mean...I didn't have to do that...you know your own handwriting. I just...I just wanted to make sure. Again, I'm sorry it's la—"

"You tracked down my copy of The Hobbit...mine. I love it, Réa."

'I love you,' I add in my head.

As I watch, Réa's expression changes, sadness creeping in, but I don't comment.

"So...movie time?" she asks as she settles onto her end of the couch, wrapping herself up in a blanket.

I join her, sitting at my end of the couch; she tosses me the remote, then turns her gaze to the TV.

During the movie, I occasionally flick my eyes toward her; every time I do, she's staring at the screen.

When the movie ends, Réa and I sit quietly for a moment before I stand.

"Thank you again for this," I hold up my book. "It's one of the best gifts I've ever received."

"You're welcome, Bucky," Réa says.

She stands, and I make my way toward the door and open it, then turn back to her.

"Are you going to sleep now?" I ask.

She nods.

"Okay. Sleep sweet."

"Th-thanks. You too."

"I'll be here," I point to the hallway floor in front of her door.

She nods, and closes the door.

'One step forward...that's progress,' I think.