178. Mo Mhac Tíre Bán, Mo Chosantóir

DECEMBER 25, 2019 — AVENGERS COMPOUND — BUCKY

After dinner, Réa and I are sitting on one of the loveseats in the lounge; Steve, Vision, Wanda, and Nat are in here as well. The others are scattered throughout the compound: Scott, Clint, Laura, Sarah, Sam, Caroline, and all of the kids are in the movie room, watching The Grinch; Thor and Loki have gone to New Asgard; Bruce, Rhodey, Doctor Strange, Tony, and Peter are in the workshop; Pepper and Morgan are upstairs; and Happy and May have disappeared—probably to his room.

"Today was a really nice day," Steve says. "It was nice of you, Tony, and Pepper to surprise Sam with a visit from Sarah and the boys, Réa."

"It was nice to finally meet them," Réa replies. "Sarah is great, and the boys are adorable."

The others murmur their agreement.

"Well, I still can't believe you two got each other the same thing," Nat says, gesturing between me and Réa. "I mean, that's just...if it happened in a movie, I'd say it was gross, but since it's you two, I think it's awesome."

At Nat's words, Réa looks at me, a soft look in her eyes and an affectionate smile on her lips.

"You first," I say as I hand Réa her gift. "Open it."

For a moment, she hesitates, her expression quizzical as she looks as the wrapped box, but then she's carefully unwrapping it. She's barely uncovered part of the logo on the box lid when she gasps, then gives a soft chuckle.

"What?" I ask.

"Just...just open yours," she says, looking up at me. "Please."

I pick up the wrapped present she set beside my feet, and realize the box is the same size and weight as hers.

'There's no way...' I think.

Like her, I carefully unwrap the gift, and when I see the same logo that was on hers on the box in my lap, I can't help chuckling as well.

"On three?" I ask, returning my gaze to her.

"On three," she nods.

We both peel the remaining paper off of our gifts, and open our boxes, but I stop before I fold back the tissue paper.

"Okay, so...clearly we had the same idea," I say. "Which is..." I shake my head lightly, a small smile on my face, "...amazing. But I want to watch you finish unwrapping yours."

She nods, and does as I ask; once she peels back the last of the tissue paper, she gasps. Her eyes, shining with unshed tears, find mine.

"Bucky...I...you...I...thank you. Thank you so much."

"What is it?" Sam asks.

"A star...he got me a star," she replies.

'A star for my star,' I think.

Réa turns her attention back to her gift, reading the framed parchment.