151. Axe throwing?

NOVEMBER 7, 2019 — AVENGERS COMPOUND — BUCKY

I lie awake as Réa sleeps beside me, my mind going a thousand miles an hour.

After our team meeting at Réa's pond, during which Tony suggested leaving Rumlow's—and apparently Sharon's—cameras intact, he'd done just that...for about a week. Then he'd found, removed, and destroyed every single camera, along with multiple audio bugs.

I don't know if he missed some, or if Sharon somehow managed to install more...I don't suppose it matters, as the end result is still the same: Réa's space isn't hers—and I'm sure that holds true for my room and probably the others', along with the rest of the compound.

The thought that, once again, every single moment I've had with Réa hasn't been just me and her fills me with sadness, anger, and a sense of violation; it turns my stomach and makes my blood boil.

I'm going to have to tell her; I haven't yet because I'm not exactly sure of the best way to do so. This is another situation like telling her about having to watch the footage from when Rumlow had her...there is no way to tell her that won't hurt her.

I sigh heavily, knowing I need to just bite the bullet and do it.

My thoughts keep running in circles until I eventually fall asleep.

----------------------------------------

I wake to the scents of coffee, bacon, and something sweet.

Opening my eyes, I see a mug on the nightstand, tendrils of steam rising from it. I stretch, then climb out of bed, pulling a pair of sweatpants on over my boxer briefs. I pick up the mug and carry it with me as I exit the bedroom.

I see Réa at the stove, wearing one of my shirts, doing her little happy dance and softly humming as she cooks.

"Good morning," she says, looking over her shoulder at me, a beautiful smile on her face.

"Good morning," I reply, striding across the room until I'm beside her and pressing a kiss to her cheek.

I remember that the room is bugged, and I quickly take a step back. Réa looks at me, a puzzled expression on her face and a small crease between her brows, but she doesn't ask.

"So, the bacon's in the oven, keeping warm, along with the eggs. And the pancakes are almost done, so why don't you sit down and drink your coffee? I'll bring you a plate when it's ready."

I nod. "Okay."

I settle into my usual seat at the café table and watch Réa, committing the cheerful look on her face to memory, knowing that after I tell her about the bugs, I'm not going to see it for a while.

Not long after I've sat down, she brings a plate over, placing it in front of me.

"This looks great, doll. Thank you."

"You're welcome," she replies.

She places her hand on my cheek, and I lean into the touch.

"I don't know what's going on; I know you'll talk about it when you're ready. I just wanted to remind you that you can talk to me about anything."

I nod.

"I know," I say, looking up at her and giving her a small half-smile.

She places a quick kiss to my lips and then goes back into the kitchenette. She returns with her own plate and joins me at the table.

By the time breakfast is over and the dishes are washed, I've figured out what to do...I'm just trying to figure out how to do it.

"So, Wanda, Nat, and I are going to go upstairs to see Pepper and Morgan. Pepper's kicking Tony out so it can be 'just ladies'. Do you think maybe you could keep him occupied?"

'Talk about perfect timing,' I think.

"Sure, doll. I can do that."

"Great!" She pauses. "Maybe you could take him out of the compound...and maybe see if any of the other guys are interested in tagging along." She gives me a small smile. "I'm sure you can figure something out."

----------------------------------------

"Axe throwing?" Steve asks.

"I'm game!" Clint and Tony say in unison.

"When you said 'get out of the compound', I thought you meant...well, not this," Steve says. "Don't you get enough of throwing sharp objects during training?"

"I think it sounds awesome!" Scott adds.

Our group—which consists of Tony, Steve, Clint, Scott, Thor, Loki, and myself—heads into the facility.

"I've gotta say, Bucky, I was surprised you wanted to leave the compound, with everything that's going on," Tony speaks softly as we watch the others.

"I wasn't going to, but then Réa said she, Wanda, Nat, and Pepper are having a day with Morgan, and suggested I get you out of the compound. It actually worked out, because I wanted to ask you if I could take a couple of days off, and take Réa somewhere...and give you time to remove the bugs, at least in her room."

"Are you sure you want them removed? Won't that tip Sh—them off?"

"She's not going to blow her own cover to confront us about some surveillance tech. She didn't last time."

"You think she..." Tony begins. "Never mind, of course it was her." He pauses. "Take a few days off...leave tonight, come back Sunday. That'll give me enough time to find, remove, and destroy the bugs."

"Thank you, Tony."

"She's my daughter, Bucky...my family. I'll do whatever I have to in order to keep her safe, just as I would for Morgan and Pepper."

We lapse into silence.