Entry Four

Dear Diary,

I recently discovered I receive system quests. Apparently, completing them allows me to randomly unlock "critters", which seem to function similarly to monsters. I now have bumblebees unlocked, which I guess doesn't sound too bad...

I mean, they won't really do much to help with dungeon defense and bees kind of scare me. Maybe I've heard too many horror stories about people being stung to death by bees. It's usually because they're allergic to them, but it still sounds scary.

The koi fish I also unlocked sounds much more interesting. I've always seen them on television as something rich Asian households have in a fancy pond, but I've never actually seen any for myself. Still, fish tend to be pretty fun to watch! I know I used to love checking out the fish every time my parents went to a store that had them. I'll probably have to wait a while before I can get any, though.

Just this morning, I finally managed to replace the first slime I lost. I made sure to assign this one to the spawner right away. I definitely don't need a repeat of last time happening! Good thing too as Gregory and Henry returned not long after that.

They informed me that the village head set up a guard to keep watch over the dungeon. I guess that means there aren't that many people nearby. I hope that means I'll get to live in relative peace and quiet. It might get a bit lonely, but I don't actually want to have to defend against adventurers.

I really don't know how to feel about things yet. It feels wrong to not defend the dungeon core and my own life, especially when the other inhabitants of the dungeon could lose their lives as well. However, I've never been a particularly violent person and it feels wrong to hurt other people.

I don't exactly get treated like I'm a person, though... I tried to get Gregory to just call me Violet, but that didn't go as well as I hoped. Even my attempt to get creative within the system's limits by asking him to bring me garbage was met with denial.

He had said he was a poor farmer and that he felt guilty only being able to provide veggies from his family's farm as a tribute. I can't deny that the resources are helpful for the dungeon's growth, but it didn't seem necessary for him to struggle so much. It's a bit funny, but garbage and treasure both seem to hold the same value to the dungeon. It's just too bad I couldn't get him to see that...

Despite my reservations for the bees, I still decided to invest the Mana earned from their visit into some bees. I figured adding a beehive with honey, oyster mushrooms at the base of the oak tree, and a larger variety of plants to my wildflower meadow room would be a nice addition to the dungeon.

Since Gregory always collects things with his son, when they visit, it seems likely that investing in more plentiful resources will encourage other adventurers to do the same. Well, I have to wait for word about my dungeon to spread first, but I'm sure this will help once people give my dungeon a proper chance.

Anyway, I'll write more later. Lots left to learn!

-Violet

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Can't wait to read more? Check out my Patreon! For $5 / month you can get full access to my works including:

14 early access chapters

End of chapter shout-out

Exclusive Discord role

A special thanks to the following Patreon subscribers:

Diary Enthusiast: Travis S.,

Darling Dragon: Killer K.,

Dungeon Enthusiast: Bache F.,

Patreon Link: https://www.patreon.com/AutumnPlunkett

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Don't forget to check out the Discord! I've got several channels set up for story discussion, useful story information, and even chapter alerts so you can get notified right away when a new chapter is released!

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/2x6cfYfB9d

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-