Entry Eight

Dear Diary,

Something strange happened today. A small group of zombies entered the dungeon. I won't lie, I panicked quite a bit. I was lucky that I had summoned a wooden training sword just before that, which had primarily been in preparation for the training with David. However, wood is hardly the sort of weapon you need when dealing with actual combat. I'm really surprised the weapon didn't end up breaking in the process. Maybe the zombies were just that rotten, but I wouldn't know anything about that.

On the bright side, I guess my slimes aren't completely useless. They still don't seem like they'd be able to defeat any enemies by themselves, but even the one slime I currently have was enough to turn the tide of battle. Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, it was more of a small security breach I had to handle, but it certainly felt stressful enough.

Anyway, my slime knocked the zombie over and I was able to kill it after a bit of trouble. Surprisingly enough, I had ended up injured by the zombie, but I didn't turn into one of the undead or anything. If anything, my injury quickly healed once I was out of combat. I guess maybe the undead aren't contagious in this world. I must have some sort of super healing too, considering how quickly I recovered. Must be just one of a multitude of things that are different about me now that I'm a dungeon master.

It's still hard to wrap my head around that. Most things still feel the same. I can still feel sensations like the smooth texture of my dress or the slippery, wet exterior of my slime monsters. Yeah... I wouldn't really recommend trying to pet a slime, no matter how cute and peaceful they might look. Anyway, my other senses work just fine too. The floral scent of the flowers in my wildflower room and the pain of being bitten by a zombie are still all very real.

I just don't feel the burden of being human anymore. I no longer feel the painful and uncomfortable sensation of being hungry. My eyes don't slowly build up a painful pressure whenever I don't sleep for too long. I don't wake up with a sore back and my neck aching from sleeping on the hard ground either. I suppose none of that sounds that bad, but the experience with the zombie certainly just brings it all into perspective.

It's probably going to take a while to shake off the way I feel now, but I'm hopeful that I'll make some decent progress on upgrading my dungeon today. I've already experimented with some of the weather and time-of-day settings. Now my wildflower meadow room will have springtime weather and reflect the time of day outside the dungeon. I'm hoping the changes in weather and time will make it easier to notice time and keep things from getting too monotonous. Maybe it's a waste of resources to invest in that, I doubt it will even really make a difference to adventurers, but I definitely need it for my mental health.

Anyway, I think I can finally build my slime-themed jigsaw puzzle, so I'm going to go do that now.

-Violet

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Can't wait to read more? Check out my Patreon! For $5 / month you can get full access to my works including:

14 early access chapters

End of chapter shout-out

Exclusive Discord role

A special thanks to the following Patreon subscribers:

Diary Enthusiast: Travis S.,

Darling Dragon: Killer K.,

Dungeon Enthusiast: Bache F.,

Patreon Link: https://www.patreon.com/AutumnPlunkett

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Don't forget to check out the Discord! I've got several channels set up for story discussion, useful story information, and even chapter alerts so you can get notified right away when a new chapter is released!

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/2x6cfYfB9d

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-